How far should I keep my T5 ho light?

desertpunk

I have a 14'' t5 HO from zoo med. Chameleon Academy podcast said the T5 HO can be damaging if too close? How far does it need to be? Finding great answer on lighting but not distance.

Thanks

I just listened to one those podcasts today actually. His guest said using a Solarmeter, it should measure between 3-6 at the perch if I remember correctly. But I'm guessing you don't have a Solarmeter? I know they're expensive.

It also depends on what's between the light and the basking site. If there's any glass or plastic, remove it; UVB will not penetrate those materials. Screen can reduce the UVB partially, but that can be taken into account.

That fixture should have come with a built-in mirrored reflector. If so, and placed above the screen, the preferred distance could be anywhere between 8"-12".

1616074581649.png

A Solarmeter 6.5x is really the best way. It will not only ensure proper distances & exposure; it will also save replacing expensive bulbs prematurely.

If you're handy with electronics (arduino boards), you can build one and save some $ there.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=diy+uvb+meter

It also depends on what's between the light and the basking site. If there's any glass or plastic, remove it; UVB will not penetrate those materials. Screen can reduce the UVB partially, but that can be taken into account.

That fixture should have come with a built-in mirrored reflector. If so, and placed above the screen, the preferred distance could be anywhere between 8"-12".

View attachment 296134
A Solarmeter 6.5x is really the best way. It will not only ensure proper distances & exposure; it will also save replacing expensive bulbs prematurely.

If you're handy with electronics (arduino boards), you can build one and save some $ there.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=diy+uvb+meter
In this chart, is the red the danger zone, and the pink is the Goldilocks zone?

Thanks for the chart. Ive seen those but not with specific lighting fixtures. Thanks..... Unfortunately the chart does not have my exact lighting fixture.

Zoo Med ReptiSun T5-HO Terrarium Hood - 14" it is not the CFL bulb. DO I just guess it now? match whatever is closest. Is that okay? is safe to just guess? or do I need to find exact chart with my exact fixture?​

Thanks for the chart. Ive seen those but not with specific lighting fixtures. Thanks..... Unfortunately the chart does not have my exact lighting fixture.

Zoo Med ReptiSun T5-HO Terrarium Hood - 14" it is not the CFL bulb. DO I just guess it now? match whatever is closest. Is that okay? is safe to just guess? or do I need to find exact chart with my exact fixture?​

That chart will apply on different T5HO length bulbs. 18, 24,36, 48. What will matter is 5.0 or 10.0 5.0 = 6% just different branding basically.
So yes you want your basking 3 to 6 inches., his back should be 3 inches from bulb.
Set up hi basking so that he sits under the UV. That is a shorter bulb, so your coverage over the cage will be less. So give him options that keep him under the center of the bulb. The ends are not as high UV

To branch your looking at 8-9 inches for a 3 uvi at the branch level. With fixture sitting on top of the cage. Where they rise up off the branch it should be about a 4 uvi at the top of the back depending on age.

This is with a single fixture t5ho and a 5.0 or 6% bulb.

Go with the Arcadia Prot5 6% — third from the right. That's the closest to what you have.

Thank you!!! for explaining all out fo me. New Chameleon owner, Im sure everyone has gone through this process of freaking out to make sure everything is set up properly.

Thank for everyone who replied!!!

Back
Top Bottom