How does a chams tongue work?

dectr6

I never really thought about it before until today when I saw my six month old veiled nail a really big horn worm. Those of you who have dealt with these know how firm a grip they have. My cham grabbed him with his tongue and pulled. It was pullin the whole sheffellera branch with it. My cham kind of rocked back on his heels and pulled this thing to it's gruesome death. It seems to me that this can't be just some sort of really sticky stuff on the end of it's tongue. I fed my cham something else right away just to be sure he didn't injure his tongue. Anyone out there know the whole story? Just wondering. David

"The hollow tongue is composed of 3 main elements: the accelerator muscles, the retractor muscles and the sticky tip. The tip is more like a toilet plunger that hits the prey hard and creates suction around it before retracting... When the tongue is not being used, it rests in the back of the throat, where it is sheathed over the hyoid bone, which is pushed up from the lower jaw like a spring to shoot the tongue at its intended prey." Chameleons, Their Care and Breeding

Well, That's about the same that I've heard. I just don't see how it could create that much suction to do what I saw it do today. I also don't understand how it can form such a strong suction on something so uneven as a cricket. Not saying I don't believe it, I just don't understand it. My veiled actually broke the scheffellera stem that the hornworm was on. This was a three inch hornworm almost the size of my pinky. But...nature does some amazing things. Thanks for the reply. David

Howdy,

A few photos to stimulate the imagination :):
PerfectTiming.jpg

TongueOnBug.jpg

TongueAction.jpg

WaxwormSnag2.jpg

Silk1.jpg

Silk4.jpg

GrubZapIMG_1228.jpg

Howdy,

I'm still using my old Canon Digital Rebel 6.3MP with the kit 18-55mm lens. Canon has upgraded that model several times since I got it years ago. It's now the Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP. With that lens and a 2GB memory card, it's only about $650 these days. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

By the way. You might think that all of that 10.1MP (or my old 6.3MP) is wasted on photos but where I use every pixel is cropping a shot down to 1/10 of what was shot to get detail of things like tongues and eyes and scales and things... The sharper the lens and the more accurate the focus etc., the better the shot... Even a hack like me can take a halfway decent photo once in a while :).
Peek-a-boo.jpg

OK, Seems by your photos Dave that the food can actually go up inside the tongue. Is that what I'm seeing? That makes more sense to me now. Thanks for the great photos

Think of the tip of their tongues as being like a plunger. When you push down on the handle the rubber piece expands out and attempts to flatten. When you let go of the handle it will go back into position. As the tongue leaves the mouth it is kind of like when you push down on the plunger as it hits the prey it is like letting go. This gives them a more secure hold on their food.

Dave,

What's that ugly spot on the pupil?.......

Oh nevermind it's just a reflection. :p :D

Sorry....it was there for the taking.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom