How do you know if they’re overweight?

FranklinTheCham

Hello, this is my first post here on the forum! I have a quick question, I have about a 3 and a half month old male veiled chameleon. I dont know whether or not he looks overweight or not. October 26th he weighed in at 69 grams. Can anyone take a look?
Thank you :)
0AE8D7A8-A616-4CDF-82FA-617105AB5BA2.jpeg
E51D858A-D31C-48E3-AFD2-A8B79C516CB6.jpeg
8BC8824C-4013-49C4-9912-6B15A734A917.jpeg

That’s a 3 1/2 month old chameleon? During their first year, male veileds don’t typically get fat. They’re just growing too fast. At 6-9 months, you can drop their feeding down to 3-5 feeders, 3 times/week. At 1-1 1/2 years, that can drop down to 2-3 feeders three times per week. Obviously, this will depend on the feeders you give, but think ‘med-large crickets’.

One thing I would recommend... Once your chameleon reaches the age where that is possible. Is not feeding foods with a high-fat content more than often.

I can't seem to find a chart that doesn't show improper feeders. ?
If someone has a chart they can share, that would be great! ?(y)

Thank you everyone for responding. Yes he’s only 3 1/2 months lol. I feed him crickets, super worms, wax worms, hornworms, and mainly Dubai roaches. He gets an extremely varied diet and all the bugs are gut loaded. I cup feed and I feed him everyday about 10-12 bugs. Ever since he was young I fed him as much as he would eat. This was him August 14.
As long as I’m not over feeding him I think we’re ok lol.

Attachments

• 3C8CC84A-30FD-49C0-8B7E-D45DC518329A.jpeg
    3C8CC84A-30FD-49C0-8B7E-D45DC518329A.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 58
Thank you everyone for responding. Yes he’s only 3 1/2 months lol. I feed him crickets, super worms, wax worms, hornworms, and mainly Dubai roaches. He gets an extremely varied diet and all the bugs are gut loaded. I cup feed and I feed him everyday about 10-12 bugs. Ever since he was young I fed him as much as he would eat. This was him August 14.
Yep, your feeding him great feeders! @Kaizen what do you think of the quantity of food being given?

Just to follow up,

At the 6 month mark, taper him down to 3 days/week, 3-5 feeders. At around 12-18 months, drop that down to 2-3 feeders 3 times/week. Assume medium to large crix as your metric. So, one full-grown dubia = 2-3 crix.
For example: Monday: 1 large dubia; wednesday: 2 crix; Saturday: a super and a silk or horn...rinse and repeat. Switch up feeders regularly, keeping in mind relative size.

Did you hatch him out? I am still stuck on this age being correct lol. I have three boys never have they grown at such a rate and I feed heavy when they are under 5 months lol. Your boy looks more like a 5-6 month old.

The thing to me is, he looks 3.5 months here in August.

I work at petco and I got him from there. He was hatched at my store and I took him home. He immediately went into a 24x24x48 habitat. He hatched July 16.

Back
Top Bottom