How do you keep crickets?

SS4Luck

Established Member
I for the freaking life of me cant keep crickets alive for more than 4 days or so!!! Ive tried everything that I can think of and end up with a cricket shell burial tub :/

what are your secret!?!?!

Carrots alone are not sufficient gutload by far, I hope you give a much wider variety than that. Check the link in my signature for more ideas for healthy gutloading.

crickets

i raise and breed my own crickets.. i dont have really any deaths from birth to adult hood..i have them from start to finish in large plastic tubs,tops cut out with screen added... i mix up my own gut load ..and my moisture is usually pototoes & carrots..somtimes oranges..try to keep them out of the sun if you can... and away from any A/C units.. just nice room temp..

I have been having great luck with mine. My setup consists of;
10 gallon fish tank (not the best but works great for up to 500 1/2" cricks.
Screen top
Egg shell cartons or organic biodegradable flower pots. about the size of a small cup. They are very attracted to the dark brown and love to hide in them.
Fluckers (yellow) gel with D3. Seems to keep them hydrated and happy
Gutload with Carrots and either Kale, Collards or Dandelion greens depending on the freshness at the store and the rotation. I try to switch between the 3 weekly.
The tank is in the garage (70-90 F ). They seem to last about 3 weeks or until my cham eats them all. I know a glass fishtank is not the very best for ventilation, but I think it makes up in size. I found that smaller containers equals larger loss.
Also I clean tidy up every 2 days removing gross veggies and dead crickets. Dead crickets equals more dead crickets due to the gass their decomposing bodies give off. This is why ventilation and overcrowding are the biggest killers.
Also, those cricket keepers you can purchase are worthless IMHO. I made the mistake of purchasing one.... now it is used to house stragglers while I am completely cleaning the tank between batches.

I use tall open containers, like plastic rubbermaid totes with no lid. I was keeping the totes in the garage over summer, But 90 plus outside with garage close was death trap, I was getting massive die off. Brought them into cooler area back to normal.

Plastic Tote, 2 full eggcrates. Redskin potatoes for moisture. Then whatever gut load Im using at the time with fresh greens most mornings.

Back
Top Bottom