How do you handle a cham?

Kiki2803

I know this sounds like a stupid question but when my dad does it, it works but when I do it, she only puts her front two legs on me!:(

My dad used to have three chameleons when he was growing up ( :eek: ) so he obviously knows how to but when I ask him, all he says is "Find out for yourself":mad:

So I was wondering, how do you handle a chameleon?
Thanks;)

Kiki,
I would suggest that its a trust thing.
I had a Jackson growning up, i could touch his mouth, he would open it, and i could hand feed fruits and vegies... chameleons dont like water on them, i could hold his body under running water.... he was definately not a "normal" chameleon. my current veiled, in 2 weeks i have gone from her streaching to eat out of my hand to being 3-4 inches from her eating out of my hand. It does take time. you have to be slow and methodical. they have to trust you on their own.... no 2 ways about it... if you stress them every time you touch them, or hold them, they will never trust you.

The only time I handle mine is when it's time to go back in their cage at night when they have been on their free range all day.

Chief now will come out almost instantly when I open his door. I come in and greet him, open his door and offer some chin rubs but he immediately climbs onto my hand and down my arm. But it's taken almost a year to get to that point. I would just rub his chin and if he put a foot on me, I was content. (If he doesn't want to come out of his cage, I let him be. :)) I kept on doing that for a long time until we are at the point we are at now. So I can only suggest LOTS, and LOTS of chin rubs :)

Thanks for the tips xraygirl. I have been trying really hard to build up trust with Pickle. You provide some hope for the future!

It really is a trust thing. My jacksons have been handled since they were babies and have no issue with me holding them or taking them places (around the house of course). I bought my veiled when he was like 5 months old and he was never handled. It has been a long going process to gain his trust. It still is a work in progress. But with more time he will get the idea that I am not there to hurt him. Just to spoil the crap out of him.

Thanks for the tips xraygirl. I have been trying really hard to build up trust with Pickle. You provide some hope for the future!

;) you're welcome. Just work on that, and maybe there's hope. However, don't be too upset if she doesn't ever warm up to you.... Some chams are that way ;)

Big tip for me was no sudden moves! come in slow and just be patient, if she doesn't walk on your hand within in a few minutes pull away slowly and try again later. She will eventually feel comfortable with your hand being close by and walk right on it!

They really do like you more if you associate yourself with good things. It took a few months for my veiled to trust me, but now she runs on me and we can go sit outside together because she knows she gets treats when she is with me. In the morning she crawls down from her habitat and waits by her feeding cage until i feed her. I just plop a few worms on my hand and create habits that they can follow and associate with (feeding), and they really start to like you.

Back
Top Bottom