How do you give vit a?

Gut load crickets or w/e feeders you have with carrots I believe from what I read on some other threads

i use a singe TINY drop of human vit a from a capsole. also products such a zoomeds reptivite and repashy foods supplements have preformed vit A and i use them with success...if you go the capsole way remeber LESS IS MORE

Repashy has a Vit A dusting supplement that works well. You can do what Hoj says with supplements or human Vit A gel caps I have also injected Dubias with a dose when trying to treat a deficiency. Carrots are good in gutloads but the vit a will not be used by panthers due to it being in the wrong form.

Rapashy makes a good vitamin A supp. Do you think your chams have a vitamin a deficiency? To much vitamin a can become toxic for your chameleon.

Rapashy does makes a vitamin A supplement and so does Zoo Med. You can also use Zoo Med's Reptivite a couple times a month to get Vitamin A to your cham.

For those of you that have used the vitamin A capsules in the past, could you tell me the Brand of what you got and what is on the bottle? I don't want to get the wrong thing. Thanks!

i use a plain no name brand, i believe the capsols are 10,000iu, remember lass is more!!

I have found 8000IU soft gel capsules at CVS and cheaper at Walmart, but hate not knowing how much I'm giving

one drop is approx 50IU. I have drawn up the full cap into a syringe and injected half into a dubia when treating deficiencies.

When I developed the Vitamin A Plus, I did a lot of dusting and weighing to come up with a level that I considered to be safe for occasional use.

The best rule of thumb I could give you is that a freshly dusted large adult cricket with Vitamin A plus would contain APPROXIMATELY 200IU Vitamin A (Retinol)

The dose recommended by Mader in his book for Chameleons to treat clinical hypovitamintosis A is 2000IU for every 30 grams of Chameleon Body weight every seven days for two doses.

So using my Vitamin A plus, this would mean 10 large crickets for each 30 grams of lizard.

A little difficult to get a 90 gram chameleon to eat 30 large crickets in a day, but my stuff wasn't meant to be used just for treatment, and more of an overall booster..... or less aggressive and less risky treatment for deficiency than Mader prescribes. It could be just right for specimens that are just showing some signs, but not to the point they need an expensive trip to the Vet.

Allen

Last edited:
This thread has really been the answer to my prayers as I'm dealing with a vit. a def. female I just adopted last week. I was giving her too little vit. A dust/extract. Thank you Allen for your product, work, and research! I know I'm a repashy supporter already and I've only been on the products for a few weeks now. I appreciate you pushing the chameleon keeping hobby forward!

Back
Top Bottom