How do you dust a GBR

Ok, I recently acquired some green banana roaches ( thank you Nick ). How are you supposed to dust these slippery suckers. I only managed to get one in the cage and two flew away. I was sensible enough to do this outside the first time. One of the two that flew away landed on the outside of Elvis's cage ran over thinking he could get it but it flew away before he got half way. He gave me a look like I'd committed a most heinous act. He really loved his one green banana and did not like seeing two get away. I need some tips on how to handle them and how on earth to dust them. Some lady on you tube said hers do a fluttery hop like grasshoppers. Mine flew and very easily

You can pop them in the fridge for just a few minutes before feeding to slow them down. That worked decently well for me, but they seemed to die easy, so don't overdo it.

Hey Alison,

Glad Elvis likes them with a Ba-ba-ba BURNIN' Love…

Here are some tricks with getting out adult GBR's, either size:

1. NEVER try to get them out at dusk or night time, they are active at night.

2. Do this process out side until you get the hang of it.

3. Have a deep large plastic container, put one piece of bark in the bottom of the container. Lift one of the large pieces of bark out of the breeding container, and quickly move it into the empty container with the bark, and hit the bark on the "floor" of the container, this will knock the GBR's into the container.

4. Once the GBR's are in the container, most of the adults will go under the bark, some will climb the sides. Pin the ones climbing up the sides and put them into a 32-ounce insect cup with a lid, and your dusting powder in it. Flip the bark and pick them off the side of the plastic container as they climb up.

5. Once you have the adults captured for dusting and feeding your chameleons, dump the rest back into your breeding container.

6. You can hand feed the chameleons, tong feed the chameleons, hand place them into a feeding cup, or open the dusting cup and let them fly/crawl to their demise...

In the beginning we had a LOT of adults flying away as we packed out orders, and found if you stay away from dark hours, and give them the "hiding bark" we have very few fliers. Even if they reach the top of the plastic bin, they tend to not fly if the bin isn't moved around suddenly. The best way to grab them is to pin them against the plastic and put them in the chamber of dusting doom….

CHEERS!

Nick:D

Ok, thanks. He really loved the one he got. I'm going to restrain myself and let them be for a week or two. Let the colony grow a bit. They don't seem to be voracious eaters. I think I will put a little less food in so I'm not removing quite so much.

Hello,

I use a paper towel roll. I keep it in the roach container all of the time, and whenever I need to get some roaches out I simply pick up the tube and shake it into an empty bread bag with a little dust added. *shake shake shake* to coat the roaches, and then I just stick the whole bag (opened) into the terrarium and the roaches crawl/stumble out at their leisure.

I have a huge colony, though, so if you don't have that many it might be better to set a roach trap. They love bananas, so I'll just take a 3oz plastic cup, stuff it with damp paper towels and bananas, and turn it upside down. The bananas will draw the roaches out of the medium and into the cup. I use this method to give the roaches to friends, because I can just add a lid to the cup and *viola*, instant roach transport complete with roaches and food. I'm sure that you can just flick the roaches out of the cup (while the cup is inside a bag with dust) if you want to dust them.

Anyways, just some ideas. Hope your little dude enjoys the snacks!

Great ideas, thanks. Don't the paper towel rolls mold in such a wet environment? I'm finding I need to change out the food daily or it will turn. Even the Cricket Crack. I really thought they would eat a lot more but then again I don't have that many yet.

The key on feeding is to put enough food to be consumed in 3 days or so. I find thinly sliced apples are easiest to manage, and when the food is all eaten, the gnats and fruit flies are greatly reduced.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

I'll try that. So far everything looks pretty yucky the next day. I'm putting far less in until I figure the right amount. I think I need some springtails maybe.

Great ideas, thanks. Don't the paper towel rolls mold in such a wet environment? I'm finding I need to change out the food daily or it will turn. Even the Cricket Crack. I really thought they would eat a lot more but then again I don't have that many yet.

Surprisingly the tube doesn't get moldy. The adults seem to like being up high so I usually set the paper tube roll on top of their overturned ceramic pot (which is a favorite hiding place for these little dudes) and they'll hang out in it while it's on top of the pot. There's been times, though, when the tube would end up on the substrate and it never seemed to mold. I throw it away when I periodically clean their habitat, though. That might help a bit :)

My food usually doesn't mold either. Unless I add a whole banana, but it's probably not moldy...just really mushy.

OH! I forgot to mention, that I have temperate springtails in with my roaches! And those guys eat mold and bacteria!! That might be it, actually! Yep, it's probably the springtails. They're my secret to smell-free vivariums.

Back
Top Bottom