how do you clean a chameleon cage??

roxy21

I have been told to use bleach, but I don't think that is safe. What should I used to get rid of the bacteria in the cage?

I know a lot of people don't like my use, but it works for me. I use olive oil. Olive oil has a history of being used as an anti-bacterial "lotion." I have, on the bottom of Kukui's cage, some of those foam things you can get a craft store. When it's time for a cage cleaning (this weekend, actually), I remove the foam boards, toss them (they are really cheap, so it's not a big deal), and then wipe down the bottom of the cage with a warm, wet paper towel. I really get into the corners. I then dry it off and use a splash of olive oil in the corners. it helps ward off any bacteria growth and since it's water resistant, I don't have to worry about it washing away with the mistings. I reapply it every now and then, just to keep it clean. Now, a lot of people don't like my use and they swear that olive oil doesn't do much, but here is a link to a study done (although it's not the full study, just the abstract) explaining how olive oil had better antimicrobial properties than wine: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17536679

it's a little trick my old Italian grandmother taught me when I was young. She kinda reminded me of the dad in My big Fat Greek Wedding, except, instead of windex, she swore by olive oil...and I gotta say, I've never had an infected cut or anything as long as I treated it with olive oil!

I know a lot of people don't like my use, but it works for me. I use olive oil. Olive oil has a history of being used as an anti-bacterial "lotion." I have, on the bottom of Kukui's cage, some of those foam things you can get a craft store. When it's time for a cage cleaning (this weekend, actually), I remove the foam boards, toss them (they are really cheap, so it's not a big deal), and then wipe down the bottom of the cage with a warm, wet paper towel. I really get into the corners. I then dry it off and use a splash of olive oil in the corners. it helps ward off any bacteria growth and since it's water resistant, I don't have to worry about it washing away with the mistings. I reapply it every now and then, just to keep it clean. Now, a lot of people don't like my use and they swear that olive oil doesn't do much, but here is a link to a study done (although it's not the full study, just the abstract) explaining how olive oil had better antimicrobial properties than wine: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17536679

it's a little trick my old Italian grandmother taught me when I was young. She kinda reminded me of the dad in My big Fat Greek Wedding, except, instead of windex, she swore by olive oil...and I gotta say, I've never had an infected cut or anything as long as I treated it with olive oil!

haha!...okay i will try that!

I use Zoo Med "Wipeout". The cage floor gets cleaned everytime I change the paper towels. Periodically I do the plants & vines. For this procedure my Cham goes to hang out in the Ficus tree in the living room. I remove the plants and vines... put them in the bath tub.... give em a good spray with the Wipeout.... let em soak a bit, then rinse & replace back in the cage:)

I've been using something called F10 for yeeeears. Look it up. It has almost magical properties! It doesn't smell at all. It's almost clear and the ratio is about 10ml to a pint of water for spraying and a bit stronger for soaking things. It is UTTERLY safe. I've used it (as directed by a herp vet) to nebulise snakes in the past too. I fumigate my snake room with it also. Once it contacts anything organic (your animal, poo, urate) it is rendered inactive and turns to water! Utterly totally incredibly safe. This stuff is like nepalm for nasties too! Really very very good stuff. Whatever you choose to buy, save yourself some money by buying a mixer thing of it that you dilute yourself. They last a couple of years each for me and I have forty odd snakes, two tree frogs, two scorpions, a grey parrot, tropical snails and two chemeleons to look after..... :cool:

Nice thread with alot of information, good question roxy21 cause I was about to start the same thread once again thx for the info

I've been using something called F10 for yeeeears. Look it up. It has almost magical properties! It doesn't smell at all. It's almost clear and the ratio is about 10ml to a pint of water for spraying and a bit stronger for soaking things. It is UTTERLY safe.

I just looked this stuff up...... Very Impressive Indeed! How do you use it? Can you just spray the whole cage in place,wipe up the drippings and your done? The wipeout has a strong odor & I always rinse with water before placing stuff back in the cage.Im leary of anything not rinsed off because they drink off the leaves ect ect.Who sells it on line? I will go check Amazon & E Bay

I've been using something called F10 for yeeeears. Look it up. It has almost magical properties! It doesn't smell at all. It's almost clear and the ratio is about 10ml to a pint of water for spraying and a bit stronger for soaking things. It is UTTERLY safe.

I just looked this stuff up...... Very Impressive Indeed! How do you use it? Can you just spray the whole cage in place,wipe up the drippings and your done? The wipeout has a strong odor & I always rinse with water before placing stuff back in the cage. Who sells it on line? I will go check Amazon & E Bay
never used it but i know LLLreptile sells it

Ived used novasan, bleach an water... but bought a nice steam cleaner an thats what i use now STEAM works great....an no chemicals

never used it but i know LLLreptile sells it

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/vitamins-medicines-and-cage-cleaners/reptile-medications-mite-sprays-and-cleaners/-/f10sc-veterinary-disinfectant-34oz/

There's the link for the F10, or if you're comfortable with something a little less heavy duty, our stores use ZooMed's Wipeout and/or Healthy Habitat.

The Wipeout has a nice clean smell, and works extremely well at getting feces and other dirt and stains off. However, the Healthy Habitat is considered extremely safe and effective for cleaning cages. If you have sensitive chameleons or want a biodegradable, environmentally safe cleaner, the Healthy Habitat may be the stuff for you.

im pretty sure lemon juice and water works well to clean stains/poo skidmarks. its non toxic and pretty cheap. plus smells great!

Back
Top Bottom