how do you choose which photo?

Jupiter, I agree with everything you said, including the shout-out to Duchamp. My hubby and I have had this "discussion" several times. He chooses to be a purist and will only do minimal post processing such as cropping whereas I have been experimenting since the dark ages (film). I've tried different developing techniques, used filters on my camera, played with available lighting, hand-colored black & white prints, and of course spot toned until I had just about repainted the image ... I've always wanted to create, rather than simply record. Like any artist I want to tell a story, set a mood, offer a different way of seeing the world. The fact that my medium is a camera rather than paints or inks does not alter that vision.

Even with my chameleon photography my goal is the same - show the chameleons personality, the style in which we raise them, intrigue and educate those who may be unfamiliar with chameleons. My editing style is of course different, less artsy and more along the lines of cropping and toning but those things can dramatically improve a photo.

That said, when I vote in the photo contest I look less for technical quality and more to who has a good eye, who caught a good moment, who has a bit of artistic flair. Granted I still want to see a clear focused image as it is a photo contest but this is more about fun and pride in our animals rather than finding the next Ansel Adams. And it is all subjective to our personal tastes.

To the OP - I thought your entry into that months contest was the most interesting and well thought out and derserving of a win.

I'm new, but when I vote, I vote for the cutest or coolest looking cham, or for the photo that best fits the theme. Win or lose it's fun to participate, and show off the photo skills and of course my little baby Mr.Pink.

Haha ya it does suck. I took photography throughout highschool and have won multiple photography contests, yet for some reason when it comes to these photo contests I maybe get 1 or 2 votes. I think part of the reason might be because people think my photos are photoshopped, yet I never use any editing software. The photo I take is the photo that gets entered. If you are good enough at photography you don't need to edit your photos. You adjust the setting on your camera to capture the perfect light and you get the photo you want. I wouldn't be so devastated about not winning though. Honestly, not winning has never bothered me. You are entering a contest for free, so you shouldn't be disappointing if you don't win anything from it. At the end of it all, you got to take photos that YOU liked of your chameleon, and to me that's all that really matters. Though my photo (baby veiled with the christmas lights bokeh in the background) only got 1 vote this month I still used it for another photo contest and won a 2x2x4 screen enclosure! I think this site really goes from popularity. And there's nothing wrong with that at all. If a member is constantly helping people with their posts, they deserve to win a photography contest :D

I'm sorry if this isn't what you were hoping to hear. Just keep trying and hopefully you'll succeed someday :)
Wow
Just found this post and boy some of this makes sooo much sense!

I look at it this way, everybody thinks they have the cutest baby. Popularity does play a roll in the contest for sure but at the same time some folks post photos that they think are very creative and then others see it and it's been done to death previously. I know that I tend to vote for a chameleon that isn't very common or if common one that is at the top of it's game in terms of display. Then again, everybody thinks their baby is the cutest lol

I look at it this way, everybody thinks they have the cutest baby. Popularity does play a roll in the contest for sure but at the same time some folks post photos that they think are very creative and then others see it and it's been done to death previously. I know that I tend to vote for a chameleon that isn't very common or if common one that is at the top of it's game in terms of display. Then again, everybody thinks their baby is the cutest lol
I agree but I knew a certain photo was submitted past the submission deadline. When I saw this and inquired how it got into the final cut, all my posts were deleted!
That photo won.
Makes you just say hummm

Everybody hates a winner lol As for how you " know " it was submitted late. Unless you are the one handling submissions I'd say that would be a hard thing to know. Perhaps the person running the contest for got to post it originally. In most of the contests I have see held here, the winner really is the best photo. I have noticed maybe one winner that I thought there was a better photo out there in the few years I have been here. Again, everybody thinks they have the cutest baby. I have a friend that posts pictures of her human baby on facebook all the time saying how cute she is. She is not a cute baby lol has a forehead like a drive in movie screen but hey, it's a baby so it gets an automatic pass on the cute thing. Besides that say the cute babies tend to grow up homely and the homely babies grow up cute, so this kid should break the cute meter lol

Everybody hates a winner lol As for how you " know " it was submitted late. Unless you are the one handling submissions I'd say that would be a hard thing to know. Perhaps the person running the contest for got to post it originally. In most of the contests I have see held here, the winner really is the best photo. I have noticed maybe one winner that I thought there was a better photo out there in the few years I have been here. Again, everybody thinks they have the cutest baby. I have a friend that posts pictures of her human baby on facebook all the time saying how cute she is. She is not a cute baby lol has a forehead like a drive in movie screen but hey, it's a baby so it gets an automatic pass on the cute thing. Besides that say the cute babies tend to grow up homely and the homely babies grow up cute, so this kid should break the cute meter lol
No Not everyone hates a winner and that is not the point anyway. As a matter of fact we wish each other well, winners or losers and all in between. We all love our animals and that is why we even bother with a forum!
Yes perhaps the entry was just posted late by the admin . The submission time is stamped on each photo so I think it was just entered late. Things happen but is deleting posts how this should have been handled?
It just makes it look like it was being covered up

Guys... Seriously, it's a contest that's all in fun! Let's not get too wrapped up in it. There were (and always are) multiple photos each month that deserve to win... That's how you made it to the final round!

Let's all agree to just enjoy sharing gorgeous photos of gorgeous animals? You don't have to participate but if you do, try to remember this is supposed to be a community building event! The "stakes" here are too low to justify getting upset.

From my perspective, I am always amazed at the photos, some for their technical quality, some for the personality captured, and some for creativity. I really love the effort and heart that goes into the photos! :)

Coincidence [noun]: a striking occurrence of two or more events at one time apparently by mere chance.

I replied clearly explaining why your posts were going to be removed, you read them and even replied to my answer. If you were still harbouring bitterness about the timestamp, how we do things, why did you not take it up with me privately right then?

And so for others reading this thread and so nobody thinks there is some giant cover-up happening here is my original post about the issue:

Trace said:
Oh Gosh! I’m not sure most people understand just how much time we put into this running site every single day. It’s ALL volunteer time on top of that. While Brad had the best of intentions of doing the contest on Thursday/Friday other site business and problems took a priority on those days. It isn’t some kind of conspiracy but simply we got a little behind on things. Not to diminish what we do here but the prize is $50 bucks and bragging rights on a forum, not photo of the year on National Geographic or Life Magazine.

Good luck to all the entrants this month! We got some excellent photos and it makes the decision so much harder to make.

Unfortunately this discussion has cast dispersions on certain photos and will the vote now be biased against those? I'll be deleting any posts in regards to this topic so no member favouritism is implied.

If there are further questions about how the site is run or how to volunteer please start a new thread in the Site Feedback category.

And Fleetwoodchams reply:

fleetwoodchams said:
Not implied. And thanks for stepping in Trace.

The question was a simple one. One which again has been blown out of proportion. Not intended. Perhaps this was just an oversight and will be corrected.

Just for the record thanks for reminding everyone that you and others volunteer your time here. It is appreciated !

If you don’t like the way Chameleon Forums is run, you have two choices, be the change you want to see and volunteer your time/offer suggestions for change or otherwise perhaps there may be other forums more suited to your liking.

Guys... Seriously, it's a contest that's all in fun! Let's not get too wrapped up in it. There were (and always are) multiple photos each month that deserve to win... That's how you made it to the final round!

Let's all agree to just enjoy sharing gorgeous photos of gorgeous animals? You don't have to participate but if you do, try to remember this is supposed to be a community building event! The "stakes" here are too low to justify getting upset.

From my perspective, I am always amazed at the photos, some for their technical quality, some for the personality captured, and some for creativity. I really love the effort and heart that goes into the photos! :)

+1

The entry in question was submitted on 04-17-2014 at 11:00 PM CST. The entry deadline was 4-17-2014.

The whole process is handled manually by myself. I usually use Pacific Standard Time for entry deadlines, but depending on my sleeping schedule the entry deadline is sometimes not enforced until the following morning. We have done this for over 100 months in a row. Everyone has the same opportunity and hours are spent each month grading the entries.

Originally Posted by Trace
Oh Gosh! I’m not sure most people understand just how much time we put into this running site every single day. It’s ALL volunteer time on top of that. While Brad had the best of intentions of doing the contest on Thursday/Friday other site business and problems took a priority on those days. It isn’t some kind of conspiracy but simply we got a little behind on things. Not to diminish what we do here but the prize is $50 bucks and bragging rights on a forum, not photo of the year on National Geographic or Life Magazine.

Thanks Trace & Brad
I know you are all volunteer. We do all appreciate it. Really!
I know Brad( and all the volunteers) have a life outside of this forum. And you can't monitor everything that happens here 24/7
And I did take it up privately with Brad. He has cleared this up today with his post.
Thanks Brad

You must understand that I do receive private communications from other members discussing things on this site via email, face-book and other sites as I know many other members do. When it became a question for myself and others, I asked. That is all.
Honestly it was a bigger question for some of the others than me. I really just have fun posting my pictures and didn't really care about any prize. I even talked to Brad about how to make my photos better.

You mentioned either changing things or going to another site. Well there are other venues and a new start-up forum I have heard of recently, however, I like this group.

If it is a matter of manpower.
I would love to volunteer. I have the time.
If you need help you can contact me via PM and we can discuss the how and when.
Otherwise please know that your efforts are appreciated. And I don't think many members on this site know how much of your own time you put in to make things run.

Thanks for the reply

If it is a matter of manpower.
I would love to volunteer. I have the time.
If you need help you can contact me via PM and we can discuss the how and when.
Otherwise please know that your efforts are appreciated. And I don't think many members on this site know how much of your own time you put in to make things run.

Thanks for the reply

If it were only a question of manpower, there would be a ton of moderators :). It takes someone with a lot of experience, a lot of patience (which may be wearing thin from time to time :eek:), someone who can be firm when they need to be, and someone who can be objective and fair. Many have questioned the moderators from time to time on their ability to do any facet of their role, but this is a forum with tons of personalities, and issues do arise from time to time. I think they have done a fantastic job dealing with many aspects within the community, and without their efforts the forum would turn into a place we wouldn't want to be a part of.

When I look at the current list of mods, and think of some of those from recent past, I understand how much time is spent fixing little issues and disputes and how a lot of their time is wasted because we don't fix these things on our own. If we see someone out of line, or who is breaking a forum rule, we should politely let them know and move on. If there is a major issue we can flag the post so the mods can do what they have to do. We can all be moderators for that kind of stuff without having to overstep our boundaries. The system is already in place! :D

As for the occasional conspiracy theory thread that pops up, it is simple. The world isn't perfect. This forum isn't perfect. The people on the forum aren't perfect. Not everyone is always going to agree. Not everyone is always going to be happy. Even though this is all true, remember that this is a forum shared by all sorts of individual ideas and personalities and that is very much what makes it special. However, when an issue is addressed, and has been answered, we should not keep it going forever. It just adds to what can make forums a place we don't want to be.

I don't have as much time as I wish to be on here right now, but I will tell you this. Even though I don't think I have the knowledge to be a qualified moderator, I try to act as a forum ambassador (maybe I need a special title under my name :cool:). I know what its like to be on here for the first time and not know what is going on. I know when someone is being unfairly treated and I can step in and just give a good answer to their question and make the situation better. If there is a place for forum ambassadors, then count me in! (I think I am qualified, but if I'm not, please don't let me know :p)

As for the occasional conspiracy theory thread that pops up,
it is simple. The world isn't perfect. This forum isn't perfect. The people on the forum aren't perfect. Not everyone is always going to agree. Not everyone is always going to be happy. Even though this is all true, remember that this is a forum shared by all sorts of individual ideas and personalities and that is very much what makes it special. However, when an issue is addressed, and has been answered, we should not keep it going forever. It just adds to what can make forums a place we don't want to be.

There was no conspiracy period!
Question was asked and Brad answered. I am certainly satisfied with his answer.
I agree with most of what reptigeek had to say. (Shown below)
Mainly, Brad has the daunting task of deciding if a photo is legit or not and worthy of the final. That is why I commented on this thread in the first place.
Some folks simply do not have the expensive camera or skills to take perfect photos. But that doesn't mean their chameleon isn't as beautiful as the next. In the end it is a "photo contest"
Reptigeek has a valid point though. He has expertise in photography and felt misunderstood. Brad you have a rough job. Is the photo doctored digitally or just that good? Lovely Cham but lacking in basic photography?

Let me know if I can ever help you with this. Regards

Haha ya it does suck. I took photography throughout highschool and have won multiple photography contests, yet for some reason when it comes to these photo contests I maybe get 1 or 2 votes. I think part of the reason might be because people think my photos are photoshopped, yet I never use any editing software. The photo I take is the photo that gets entered. If you are good enough at photography you don't need to edit your photos.
You adjust the setting on your camera to capture the perfect light and you get the photo you want. I wouldn't be so devastated about not winning though. Honestly, not winning has never bothered me. You are entering a contest for free, so you shouldn't be disappointing if you don't win anything from it. At the end of it all, you got to take photos that YOU liked of your chameleon, and to me that's all that really matters. Though my photo (baby veiled with the christmas lights bokeh in the background) only got 1 vote this month I still used it for another photo contest and won a 2x2x4 screen enclosure! I think this site really goes from popularity. And there's nothing wrong with that at all. If a member is constantly helping people with their posts, they deserve to win a photography contest

After many devastating losses I would like to find out just how everyone decides which photo to vote for. I thought the majority would vote based on photo quality, effort and creativity. I would love to hear your response to help me better understand how the results come out the way they do.

I am sure you can infer that this thread comes from my loss this month. All of the previous losses were devastating, but this one even more so. We worked so hard and everything in our photo was real and not photo shopped. I made the antlers and was sure that the creativity and quality would at least place. I don't know what else we could have done. I'm not trying to be a sore loser, I would really just like to hear opinions.

When I vote I never look at the user names, the people taking the pictures doesn't not matter to me. I look at the chameleons, I do not choose by species. Honestly theres usually a few that stand out to me and Ill look at them over a few days and decide which l like best. It has to be quality picture, I prefer live plants and outdoor pics, ones where a chameleon is caught doing something odd.

A suggestion for the people that do the contest, don't post the usernames so the contest is a little more fair.

I'm happy to say that people have taken up my offer to help critique their photo contest entries over the months and they have gone on to be in the voting round, one person may even placed if I remember correctly. I definitely want to refresh that offer, if anyone feels like they can never make it to voting and would like to know why they are welcome to email me their options and I'll give my honest opinion and offer tips or advice if or where necessary.

Usually it's such easy little things to do - a strategic crop that removes a distracting object from the background of improves the composition of the photo, a tiny bit of post-processing correction (tweak the contrast a little, reduce photo noise, etc.), or something like that. Or tips on how to take a better photo next time. You don't have to have a thousand dollar camera to take good photos, so don't let whatever camera you have intimidate you!

Here's a thought.
Limit the amount of times anyone can win in a period of time. Share the love, if you know what I mean.
Not everyone has the means or know how to post studio quality photos.

If it is not a "photography forum" as Olimpia states in this thread,. then why not give everyone a better chance to win now and again.
I am sure this would be better for the sponsors who support the prize cost and make more members happy.
Happy members buy stuff.

Oh boy, I cant say I'm excited to see this thread re-surface. LOL I started this one out of frustration. haha, after losing month after month and then putting hours in to the photo that sparked this thread it was a hot head that prevailed.

Just a note here, I dont care about the prize. I just like the ribbon under your name and recognition for a good picture. and I was pretty upset that photos with digitally added props would win over a real one.

Its all good though, I just stopped entering and now only enter every once in a while as its pretty frustrating.

I judge based on the photo, the quality and the photographers eye for a great shot. I understand popularity, but its a photo contest and should be based purely on the photo.

Here's a thought.
Limit the amount of times anyone can win in a period of time. Share the love, if you know what I mean.
Not everyone has the means or know how to post studio quality photos.

If it is not a "photography forum" as Olimpia states in this thread,. then why not give everyone a better chance to win now and again.
I am sure this would be better for the sponsors who support the prize cost and make more members happy.
Happy members buy stuff.

There are already rules stating that:

Rule 1B: Contest prize winners must sit out from the following contest. This gives everyone a chance.
Rule 2B: No specific chameleon may win more than two times in the same given year. This is to help provide variety to the set of contest winners.

Here are the entire rules: https://www.chameleonforums.com/photo-contest-rules-102/

Back
Top Bottom