How do I open my chameleon’s mouth to give him oral antibiotics

Hello everyone. I wanted to know if they’re any possible ways that I can open my chameleon’s mouth (that won’t make him uncomfortable) so I can give him his oral antibiotics and feed him.

Hello everyone. I wanted to know if they’re any possible ways that I can open my chameleon’s mouth (that won’t make him uncomfortable) so I can give him his oral antibiotics and feed him.
The choo choo train method!

That was definitely a joke, but when I was typing it out I think it could actually work 😳... So what if the train was coming from over his head, this tends to irritate some chameleons and triggers them to gape. There might be a window of opportunity there to deliver a dose. Also, I like @kinyonga idea on putting it in their mouths when they are feeding!!

When I had to give my chameleon liquid calcium I held up an infrared thermometer near him and it made him gape, I then squirted it in. Make sure you aim towards the back of his mouth. Give it a try. I know it is a source of stress but it will be for a short amount of time and for a good cause.

Before figuring out this trick it was really frustrating so I feel your pain.

If you have a veiled, their casque makes a wonderful little handle. Just be gentle.

haha i use that as the “emergency brake” if Clarice is trying to bite. She takes her time and goes in really slowly when she’s mad (which is 24/7). So if she’s getting ready to do the ol’ bite and twist I put my finger on her casque. She will just look at me like “pfft. You’re lucky.”

Search for an old post from @ferretinmyshoes where they posted an informative photo of the mouth and areas to avoid. Their airway is right in front of their throat so you really want to make sure you get it all the way back there and drip it slowly.

if you can squirt it in while they are eating, its said that their airway is closed while eating. So you can just get it in thr corner of the mouth. Thats what I do if they are eating. Give them a big ol silkworm and squirt it in the corner of their mouth while chewing. OR inject it into a silk or hornworm. I like to give silk and hornworms with meds for the extra moisture content. Make sure they are getting plenty of water thru longer mistings after their meds.

Back
Top Bottom