How do I get my Fischer's to hand feed?

Apl3jck

I got my first Chameleon at the Pamona Reptile Expo. 3 days ago. Hes a Fischer's about 4 months old, and seems healthy as can be. Hes acting as if hes gotten accustomed to his new home (by that I mean hes no longer trying escape...) I put a few gut loaded crickets dusted with calcium supplement in his tank and I no longer see them so I assume he ate them. It does however, make me uncomfortable not knowing FOR SURE whether or not hes eating. I would assume the only way to get this assurance is to hand feed him. I tried this and he just wouldn't take the food. does anyone have any tips on how to get him to hand feed? I understand it may be an issue of time and he may just not be comfortable yet, if so, please tell me. thank you

I got my first Chameleon at the Pamona Reptile Expo. 3 days ago. Hes a Fischer's about 4 months old, and seems healthy as can be. Hes acting as if hes gotten accustomed to his new home (by that I mean hes no longer trying escape...) I put a few gut loaded crickets dusted with calcium supplement in his tank and I no longer see them so I assume he ate them. It does however, make me uncomfortable not knowing FOR SURE whether or not hes eating. I would assume the only way to get this assurance is to hand feed him. I tried this and he just wouldn't take the food. does anyone have any tips on how to get him to hand feed? I understand it may be an issue of time and he may just not be comfortable yet, if so, please tell me. thank you

you dont, no doubt he's WC, and is very shy. ive had mine since aprilish. hes only ate out of my hand once, has ate out of a small deli cup in my hand 3 times, and never cup feeds out of larger cups and never fast insects.
he is slowly starting to get more comfortable, even though we pamper them, take great care of the, and give them food, hand feeding will come when they sence trust, and that can take a very long time sometimes.

you dont, no doubt he's WC, and is very shy. ive had mine since aprilish. hes only ate out of my hand once, has ate out of a small deli cup in my hand 3 times, and never cup feeds out of larger cups and never fast insects.
he is slowly starting to get more comfortable, even though we pamper them, take great care of the, and give them food, hand feeding will come when they sence trust, and that can take a very long time sometimes.
Oh I see, If I may ask, and I hate to sound ignorant :/, but what does "WC" mean?

WC means wild caught... kidnaped from his home, placed in a box with possibly hundreds of others and shipped around the world to america. Sounds kinda harsh but thats basically it.

Wild Caught is what WC means, as most of these guys are. They are also a shy species in general and nothing that should really be played with. They are happiest left alone in a well planted enclosure. I do not find them to be huge eaters either. I would drop in about 5 or so crickets every other day and he will find them. Also-go light on the supplements. I would lightly dust with calcium no D3 every feeding, which is every other day, and dust once montly with a multivite with D3.

Was Louis (seeco) at the show selling?

Can you tell us a little about your husbandry? Trying to escape isnt a good thing all though adjusting to a new home can take time. I had a captive hatched male and he tried to escape by digging and clawing at the screen. I gave him a larger enclosure and he stopped. They are very active so need a large enclosure.

If you could fill this form out we can make sure everything is in check for a faster acclimation:)

https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

These guys are full of piss and vinegar and if WC, even moreso. I've had mine since July (from Cainschams) and they still give me the stink eye. They don't like to messed with, pampered or fussed over. Lush plants, plenty of water; put ther prey in and step back and watch. Keep an eye for poop and urates. As long as that looks good, they are eating and being hydrated. If he is trying to escape, perhaps it is too warm in there? NO HEAT lamps. A small basking lamp and a UV light. No heat at night. I keep mine in an Exoterra and another in a screen cage. No higher than about 75-76 ambient during the day and a nice drop to the mid to low 60's at night. Very high humidity at night is best. It can fall some during the day to about 50%.

As Jared said, if you fill out the help form, we might have some better specific advice for you.

Back
Top Bottom