How Do I Get My Chams Cage Hotter During Winter?

rango123veiled

Established Member
My chameleons cage is very cold during the winter. His name is rango and hes very nice i've had him for about two months, but his cage is getting very cold. Even though it has a heat lamp, when ever i mist his cage it drops to around 58-64 degrees, the average before that being around 78. please help me get it up to around 80, also this is only in the WINTER. If you know how to solve this please tell me

I think a temp drop when misting is normal. Assuming it's a screen cage, I'd recommend wrapping a few sides of it in plastic. I would also assume the basking spot stays hotter than 80, right? Can we see pics of your setup?

Most people struggle to achieve a sufficient drop in temperature at night for their chameleons, even in the winter. As long as the chameleon has a basking area it can reach where temperatures are into the 80s (doesn't need to be ambient temperature of the entire cage) it should be fine. At night, a drop to about 60 degrees is actually good for the cham.

Hey I got a baby panther I live in NY it's very cold so I got 2 heat bulbs running and a t5 bulb

The cage af the bottom is usually not 65 n 67 so I figure the top should be at about 80 to 90 I have him in a med screen tank it's a lil prob for me keeping humidity up when I must it's in the 60s n then it drops bet 30 35 I must 3 times a day

Any suggestions n I also dont really see him drink I got a dripper going I must n also got a plant dripper going as well

I'm all for covering the sides.

The beauty of enclosed cages, or glass Vivs. Is that, very factor.

It's less suspectible to room temps. It can be hotter than ambient during the day, easily, and cooler than ambient at night. (Especially down by the wet soil).

Blocking off 3 sides will help. Depending on your cage, (if it has the "bottom door") then I would block off the front door (and the top one, if there is one) and basically make a glass vivarium, (an enclosed one).

To do that, there is many options. Some cheap, and disposable and some not cheap and long lasting. Depends what you want to do.

What are they I'm going to try n show a pic let me no what u think I wanna keep this lil guy alive lol

What are they I'm going to try n show a pic let me no what u think I wanna keep this lil guy alive lol

For cheap easy, someone was posting the window cover plastic. Said that will work.

You could get plastic choroplast panels, PVC foam board, there is this thing white plastic at home Depot for like showers I think, I forget the name, it was like 15 dollars for a 4x8 sheet.

For the door, if you choose to do it. You can do shower curtain liner, and spline it into the screen. Or you can use the window cover, over the screen. Or you could use acrylic or plexiglass sheet.

N he also does this alot

Attachments

• 15817853486984342146699048325293.jpg
    15817853486984342146699048325293.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 134
I figured it's the only way to have running water thru out the day for him the dripper may last about a hr or so

I figured it's the only way to have running water thru out the day for him the dripper may last about a hr or so
you need a misting system, whether a cheap one like a repti rain, or a nice one like a mistking. If your not there at the times to mist you need a misting system.

Thats not running water, and that water is bacteria ridden quickly.

I'm trying my best to get him to drink I have the monsoon rs 400 but when it sprays he runs n hides n wont drink

Right now I can push back on his skin n its wrinkles a lil so I'm thinking hes not drinking I had him since sun that's when I got him

I'm trying my best to get him to drink I have the monsoon rs 400 but when it sprays he runs n hides n wont drink

Ya he doesn't drink from the mister directly, you need real plants, Alot more of them. Get like a Pothos, and mount it high in the cage so it droops down. The Mister will form water on the leaves, and the cham will lick or shoot the water off the leaves.

Maybe start your own thread @Joe31 ?

totally thought this was his thread lololol, Sorry OP.

Back
Top Bottom