How do I get him mouth to say open?

Psychobunny

Avid Member
I know this is in lots of posts, and I have tried everything mentioned, but I can not get my panther's mouth to open and stay open long enough for inspection and oral meds.
Does this take 2 people? Is there a trick to it?
I don't want to pry it open and hurt him.

I thought, if I could get his mouth open wide, I could wedge a piece of foam rubber to keep it open for me to check him out.

Does anyone have suggestions, other then covering both nostrils (that does not work), or pulling down the skin under the lower jaw (that didn't work either)??

I would imagine 2 people would be best, how? No ideas sorry but good luck and hope you manage it. Kath.

Is there anything that gets him mad, like a camera or something that would get him to gape? I know my one panther opens his mouth at my camera as soon as he sees it. I also have heard of using a credit card and put between the lips and press down.

My chameleon is also on medication and something that's worked for me and my partner is one holds her with limbs in the palm and head poking out and if you shimmy the corner of a credit/bank card it should slip in without hurting her then just twist or wedge the card and her mouth should stay open. The obviously the other person drops/scooshes medication in the chameleons mouth. Has definately been the easiest way for us and was the vets recommendation. Also, get your chameleon while he/she is sleeping.. Makes things far easier.

With mine I only need to get close with my hand and her mouth will be wide open and in attack position for as long as my hand is near.

I have a super nice one who never gapes or hisses.. 6 months or so ago I had to give him an antibiotic for 10 days.. Believe it or not I found a spot on him that makes him open up his mouth. I cant quite say why he opens it, because he never flairs up or tries to bit ore hiss.. But if I gentally rub the top of his head, he will open his mouth and just sit there.. Kinda like a dog kicks his leg if you get them pet in there right spot... haha, maybe im just lucky with my Nosybe. Maybe give that a shot.

I have a super nice one who never gapes or hisses.. 6 months or so ago I had to give him an antibiotic for 10 days.. Believe it or not I found a spot on him that makes him open up his mouth. I cant quite say why he opens it, because he never flairs up or tries to bit ore hiss.. But if I gentally rub the top of his head, he will open his mouth and just sit there.. Kinda like a dog kicks his leg if you get them pet in there right spot... haha, maybe im just lucky with my Nosybe. Maybe give that a shot.

I have a ~6 month old Veiled who has done the same thing for me when I wanted to check his tongue/mouth for injury. I just kinda tapped/set my index finger on his forehead between his eyes and he just opened his mouth right up. He is also an extremely docile and friendly Chameleon who has never hissed/gaped at me. Maybe it's a mix of trust and understanding like you read about when wild animals get in some sort of distress that requires human intervention. They are almost always calm and cooperative.

I use a soft rubber spatula for the stubborn ones. It is thin enough that I can gently slide it between the teeth and open the mouth, and soft enough that if they bite, it won't hurt them. I have also heard if people using credit cards, but I like rubber spatulas better.

I have a ~6 month old Veiled who has done the same thing for me when I wanted to check his tongue/mouth for injury. I just kinda tapped/set my index finger on his forehead between his eyes and he just opened his mouth right up. He is also an extremely docile and friendly Chameleon who has never hissed/gaped at me. Maybe it's a mix of trust and understanding like you read about when wild animals get in some sort of distress that requires human intervention. They are almost always calm and cooperative.

=), we might have something with this head rubbing method!!! lol.

I use a soft rubber spatula for the stubborn ones. It is thin enough that I can gently slide it between the teeth and open the mouth, and soft enough that if they bite, it won't hurt them. I have also heard if people using credit cards, but I like rubber spatulas better.

Thanks everyone, I will try these suggestions.
I do have a small rubber spatula, and I like the idea, since it's soft.

He has been sick and not eating, I have been able to give him water with a plastic pipett, and his vet visit is not till Monday afternoon.

The camera, mirror, thing did not work, he just stared at them :confused:

I want to get some food, smashed up bug juice, inside him since he has not eaten in a week! :eek:
Since he at least drinks water, he is not dehydrated, and I know they can go w/o food for a good while.

Back
Top Bottom