How Do I Feed Vegies?

Scotty

Hey Guys and Girls,

I remember on another thread that another member and myself asked the question HOW DO YOU OFFER YOUR CHAM VEGGIES, which unfortunately no one replied.
Alot of people said they feed there chams veggies and fruits, but I was wondering HOW DO YOU ACTUALLY PRESENT THE FOOD ITEM TO YOUR CHAMS?
Sorry about the caps lock, it is only because last time I asked this question nobody actually answered the question I was asking...lol
My male veiled is now 5 months old and I was thinking of offering him some greens and fruit but was wondering how do you guys do it? Is he too young to offer him this now, what is the ideal age to vary their diet which to date is strictly insectervorious? (did I spell that correctly?)
Do you throw it in the feeder cup, hang it off branches or feeder clips....
Any advice would be very appreciated!
Cheers guys...
Scott
:D:D

I offer mine a variety of greens (dandelion, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (slivers of carrot, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, etc.) and a little fruit (thin wedges of apple, pear, melon, etc.) impaled on branches in the cage....and/or I chop the greens, veggies and fruit up put in a dish on the floor of the cage so that the crickets can get to it too. This way the chameleon goes after the crickets and gets some of the greens, etc. stuck to its tongue and soon learns that it can eat that too. It has the added bonus of keeping the crickets gutloaded while in the cage too.

Cool, thanks, so it is basically the same as other lizards in that respect!

Next question, At what age do you introduce fruit & veg to your cham?
Is 5 months too young?

Cheers
scott...

Many of them won't start eating the greens, etc. until they are about 5 months of age. If you try earlier the worse that will happen is that the crickets will eat it (not a bad thing) or you will just have to take it out again and throw it away.

I imagine you know this, but I'll mention it just in case you don't...they will also eat the leaves off the plants in the cage....which is why its important to use well-washed (both sides of the leaves) non-toxic plants in their cages.

Thanks Kinyonga for your input, much appreciated!!!! :D

I'll give it a go now then....

Cheers
Scott.

Back
Top Bottom