how DID you get your cham to hand feed

Ya me too, though I have been guilty of it myself. Actually just did it though lol, it wasn't this old though. Also was not easily found info.
I know. Someone posted on this ancient thread, so I started reading it from the beginning thinking the whole thread was from today.....

Mine took a while to learn because he was a aggressive little man lol, but I used to just put my hand in slowly until he saw food then he just associated it all and yeah

i have a baby veiled that is around 2.5-3 months old and i want to train him to hnd feed. what did you do to get your cham to feed from the hand or will some chameleons never hand feed?

I literally just held a cricket in front of Herbert on the second day that we got him. He ate it within the first minute and we never had any problems hand-feeding him. The guy at petco said that all of his cage mates were removed to ensure that they got a chance to eat because someone (I won't name any names) was eating all the food! I actually have that moment on video for you. Unfortunately the video quality becomes really pixilated when this forum automatically embeds the YouTube link. I'll post it anyways and hopefully the quality will be good enough, or maybe there is a way to click on it and view it in YouTube.

if you have problems with standing still, well not the standing still part but being unable to stop your hand from shaking, will they adapt to that or will it make them to nervous?

if you have problems with standing still, well not the standing still part but being unable to stop your hand from shaking, will they adapt to that or will it make them to nervous?
I tong-feed and ofc that's going to be a little shaky... I try to rest my hand against the cage to minimize it.
It doesn't bother my Jacksonii if I shake a little but he does seem to be bothered by it more if I accidentally bump into a branch, especially if that makes his branch shake even a little.

He's also very slow to tong feed since he will first check you out very carefully... If you moved to much he will check you out again... then he will focus... focus more... stick his tongue out slightly... then shoot!!!!... and the cricket fell down...:(... Retry... I grab the cricket more loosely this time!... Ok checking me out... focusing... he shoots and scores !!!!... omnomnomnom...Time for the next cricket... checking me out... focus on the cricket... and ... my daughter comes in the room.... no more tong feeding today.... bummer... darned kid! :mad:

I try to feed him at least 2 crickets from my tongs before I go to work and will put the rest in his cup... This way I know he at least got a few calcium powdered crickets in him. (y)

Yup. Also got tricked. Took the time to put that video on YouTube so I could share the link with a guy from 2008.... o_O

wait til he's hungry

the reason he is not hitting when you first offer is your hand is scaring him, however over a few minutes of being very still and wiggling cricket antennas, he should give in, just make sure you are very still, use the bar on the side of the cage to rest your arm on.
This did not work for me. I held that cricket steady for half an hour and still he hides. He was hungry too. I made sure.

All my babies hand feed from me before they go to their new homes. Then all they have to do once they get to their new home is to start trusting their new parents. This often happens on the first day but it can also take a few weeks, depending on all kinds of factors.

Back
Top Bottom