How close can he safely get to a UVB bulb?

Jakama

I have a 15-Watt Repti-Glo 10.0 fluorescent lamp about 2cm above the enclosure. My new 10-week-old F. verrucosus spends a lot of time on the ceiling right under that bulb - is that a problem? I've heard that UVB bulbs like this aren't intense enough to burn a chameleon, but I'd rather not chance it if it's been a problem for anyone. Thanks!

Is the Repti-Glo a CFL or a linear tube type? Your cham is pretty young for a very intense UV source. If its linear probably acceptable for this species. If its a CFL, it can be a concern as this type creates a tight intense beam of UV that can irritate their eyes. The main issue with burns is with basking bulbs, not fluorescents.

Also, for some reason many juveniles like to hang upside down underneath their lights. Again, they are exposing their undersides more directly to the light, not their eyes. Usually as they get older they stop hanging as much. Be sure there are lots of climbing and travel pathways around the cage so he can spend less time close to the lights.

Back
Top Bottom