How can I get my Veiled to not run away when I mist?

Ive got about a year and a half old female veiled and i feel like she just hates me for misting, i dont spray her directly but she always gets a little wet. She always runs down to the bottom of her enclosure and gets all swollen and pissy.

They all have different personalities

Some wont drink while misting, they will hide and then come out and drink off the leaves
Some wont start drinking till 5-10min into the misting
Some take eyeball spin baths while misting
Some wont drink off leaves and will only drink from the rain drops

The only thing i can think of is to put a rain dome on top of the cage so its rain drops instead of a fine misting.

Are you using warm water? Most don’t like to be blasted with cool/cold water. I have allot of baby veileds and to start with I give them a tiny squirt, then wait a couple seconds and another tiny squirt. I repeat this 3 or 4 times and then proceed to their regular misting. I mist them directly so they get a chance to do their eye clea I gotta which is important.

A pissy veiled? You dont say... lol. Warming the bottle up a few degrees might help. You could put it in a bowl of hot (tap water hot, not boiling) water for a few minutes. Or the corner of a heat pad might work. Pump a few sprays to clear the nozzle then test it on the sensitive underside of your wrist.

If you think she is associating you with the misting and holding it against you, you could go to an automatic mister (everyone seems to love Mistking) so she doesn't see you every time she is "assaulted" by the horrible mist. Some people put an aquarium heater (submersible no larger than 25 watts. Betta heaters work well) in their misting reservoir.

They all have different personalities

Some wont drink while misting, they will hide and then come out and drink off the leaves
Some wont start drinking till 5-10min into the misting
Some take eyeball spin baths while misting
Some wont drink off leaves and will only drink from the rain drops

The only thing i can think of is to put a rain dome on top of the cage so its rain drops instead of a fine misting.
Ahh. I suppose im lucky. She only drinks off of the leaves after i stop misting.

A pissy veiled? You dont say... lol. Warming the bottle up a few degrees might help. You could put it in a bowl of hot (tap water hot, not boiling) water for a few minutes. Or the corner of a heat pad might work. Pump a few sprays to clear the nozzle then test it on the sensitive underside of your wrist.

If you think she is associating you with the misting and holding it against you, you could go to an automatic mister (everyone seems to love Mistking) so she doesn't see you every time she is "assaulted" by the horrible mist. Some people put an aquarium heater (submersible no larger than 25 watts. Betta heaters work well) in their misting reservoir.
Okay i can definately try that, thank you!

I spray mine just enough to get them wet then leave them be for a bit to get over the "somethings touching me stage":cautious: and then come back and give them a full spraying and they don't react because they are already wet.:)

I have an aquarium heater in my MistKing reservoir. My boys ran away from the room temp water, but enjoy the warmer misting.

Back
Top Bottom