How can i get my Veiled Cham to eat fruits and/or veggies

IMHO...there are better things to feed a veiled chameleon than banana.
The crickets, superworms, roaches and even your veiled chameleon can be fed greens, veggies and a bit of fruit...such as dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, carrots, pears, apples, melon, berries.

Last edited:
IMHO...there are better things to feed a veiled chameleon than banana.
The crickets, superworms, roaches and even your veiled chameleon can be fed greens, veggies and a bit of fruit...such as dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, carrots, pears, apples, melon, berries.
What? Yeah i know, ive had her for like a year and breed dubia and mealies. Im just trying to widen her diet so its not so bland

I have noticed with Ophelia, that she will not eat leaves, fruit, etc. in her enclosure. But during her outside time, she acts like she's at an all-you-can-eat buffet lol - I'm exaggerating a little bit, by the way. She only samples stuff when she is outside.

By the way, Kinyonga has all the good info... listen to her and you won't go wrong!

Our 8 month old male veiled Barnaby has never ate any veggies from a dish or my hand, I have offered him a variety but he never really cared for them. I just offer all veggies and fruits to my bugs(superworms, crickets, roaches, isopods etc.) so he can get them that way! He also has never tried any of his live plants in his enclosure either!

@kinyonga gave you all the best suggestions on produce, I use and rotate everyone of the ones she suggested:)

Ill definately try that! And all the fruits we buy are organic with no pesticides and all that bad stuff
Yes always make sure you're not feeding them poison! A small amount of pesticide residue that may not bother us can do major damage to a chameleon.....so try and get any fruits/veggies/plants from organic family farms that don't use them, and still thoroughly wash anything you buy. The three fruits I feed my Veileds every other week or so are strawberries, watermelon, and kiwi cut into tiny chunks and seeds removed- I find that not only do my chams enjoy eating them, but all three are packed with juices which is great for hydration! There's been a time or two when I've found one of my chams to be severely dehydrated and the combination of a 30 minute steam shower, a pipet of water, and the fruit chunks brought them right back within 24 hours looking good as ever. And like I said, try and leave an open source of a plant....jades are great but there's many others on a separate forum for this which include some vine-like ones which are convenient for enclosures.

I have noticed with Ophelia, that she will not eat leaves, fruit, etc. in her enclosure. But during her outside time, she acts like she's at an all-you-can-eat buffet lol - I'm exaggerating a little bit, by the way. She only samples stuff when she is outside.

By the way, Kinyonga has all the good info... listen to her and you won't go wrong!
Lex is the same way, I believe the change in the environment provokes a sense of curiousity

Our 8 month old male veiled Barnaby has never ate any veggies from a dish or my hand, I have offered him a variety but he never really cared for them. I just offer all veggies and fruits to my bugs(superworms, crickets, roaches, isopods etc.) so he can get them that way! He also has never tried any of his live plants in his enclosure either!

@kinyonga gave you all the best suggestions on produce, I use and rotate everyone of the ones she suggested:)
Dang, you got it going on over there too! I need to get ontop of my feeder feeding!

Yeah ive just recently even thought of having an outworld for my Sophie to go on/in

Yes always make sure you're not feeding them poison! A small amount of pesticide residue that may not bother us can do major damage to a chameleon.....so try and get any fruits/veggies/plants from organic family farms that don't use them, and still thoroughly wash anything you buy. The three fruits I feed my Veileds every other week or so are strawberries, watermelon, and kiwi cut into tiny chunks and seeds removed- I find that not only do my chams enjoy eating them, but all three are packed with juices which is great for hydration! There's been a time or two when I've found one of my chams to be severely dehydrated and the combination of a 30 minute steam shower, a pipet of water, and the fruit chunks brought them right back within 24 hours looking good as ever. And like I said, try and leave an open source of a plant....jades are great but there's many others on a separate forum for this which include some vine-like ones which are convenient for enclosures.
Wow! You know i was always nervous that she wasnt getting enough water but her urates have always been just bone white! Im definately going to try to get her to eat fruit every once in a while though. She tried banana yesterday and then ate like 4 slices off my finger

Back
Top Bottom