how are the DIY screen aluminum cages?

Lyneeso

Any problems with them? I'm thinking about ordering one right now on Ebay. I want a screen cage that is 48''X24''X24''. Is there anything comparable out there? I've been looking online and haven't seen one that looks like it would be better than the XXL Jumbo DIY screen cage for $100. Any advice?

nope. I'm not to sure how to paste links. I know I know, I probably should figure it out. In the meantime just go to Ebay and search "Screen Cage". Then scroll down and look for the DYI cage. on the auction you will see all other sizes/models available. They are made by a safe manufacturer. they look pretty cool. I bought the jumbo XXL one for $100. Should be here monday. I'm pretty excited.

Just past the link..clickable or not I think we can figure out how to go to that addy. ;) I too would be curious as to what exactly is a DIY screen cage that cost 100 bucks. At that price I would expect it to need minimal assembly.

Just past the link..clickable or not I think we can figure out how to go to that addy. ;) I too would be curious as to what exactly is a DIY screen cage that cost 100 bucks. At that price I would expect it to need minimal assembly.

I don't mind assembling. in fact i enjoy it. I just like putting stuff together.
www.diycages.com check it out.;)

Looking at that site. I'd say their cages are just like the other cages you would mail order (assembly wise). There is very little if anything DIY about them. I kind of have an issue with the name of the company. DIY means Do It Yourself. Not Do it partially yourself. The DIY name in of itself promotes images of money savings due to, well having to do it yourself. Truthfully you can get cages for cheaper than this at LLL.

100 bucks is still a good price so it's not something I'm going to argue over. But the name just leaves a bad taste in my mouth...considering what it actually is.

Now if DIYcages.com offered cage packages that were just all the materials needed for assembly pre cut and ready to go. For a much cheaper price..then they would have my business. Lets face it. You can build an all aluminum DIY cage for much less than 100 bucks.

Edit: just saw Chad's (something is up with my registry) post and this New site sponsor. So if Brad is giving them sponsorship status, then they are obviously an up to par company. Their product may be better quality than the LLL cages..I'll hold my judgment until someone reviews the cages. But I still think the name is misleading.

I would like to know...Is the cage from LLL a soft, flexible mesh? The pix look like it is. The cage from DIY appears to be metal, non-flexible mesh. (more sturdy IMO) What about the floor? is it drillable for drainage? These are things inquiring minds need to know to make an informed decision. I didn't see the floor described on either website. Any thoughts? I'll need to upgrade in the near future and it looks, $$-wise to be a good buy, and alot less work than building from scratch.

Are you thinking about flexariums? LLL sells those also. But I was comparing them to the aluminum cages LLL caries. I believe they are their own brand. Both look very similar. I do like the latches DIY uses.

Look at the shipping cost of the item. i saw one a while back before the went on ebay and it was an extra £160 to ship from the USA + customs/handling & delivery charges on top.
i brought one from a gent in Oxford who makes them, more or less the same as the usa ones!
if you want to know more just ask?:D

Always remember: PVC mesh or similar ones couldn't even resist birds ! Don't save the money on the wrong end, espacially when the cages should be also good for the outdoor usage

I just noticed they are a sponsor here now. They look just like LLL cages. Prices are about the same as LLL except when LLL has sales like they do now. maybe they can do a group buy soon :)

still waiting...

i'll be able to answer alot more questions when it gets here. Hopefully tomorrow. ;)

Yeah, first thing when i saw the new sponsor was i said "wont last" I am not trying to be an ass but its like mom and pop store taking on WalMart! DIY cages look awesome and probably are great, but there is no way they can take on LLL. LLL is way bigger and able to have their prices lower and their cages are durable and good. I dont think DIY can take LLL on, but best wishes and they do look really good!

Did you just compare us to WalMart? LOL I take that as a compliment :) Just remember, we are family run, we just work really, really hard to keep our prices down

As for the cages - I have not seen these in person. I have seen other knock offs that look like decent products. The one thing we have down now is how flush they fit together, and the type of aluminum, and size of the holes, all geared towards the chameleon's needs. None the less, other cages on the market are never a bad thing for anyone!

Anyone in the Northern California area headed to the San Jose Reptile Expo this weekend - see ya there. Here is 10% off at our booth in case anyone wants to pick up these cages at the show, or any other supplies. Take care!

Scott - LLLReptile

http://lllreptile.com/specials/index.php

DIY CAGES views so far.

i have been checking them out hoping to buy some but was wondering what others thought about having this feature on their cages.The lower area under the door to swing out for easy cleaning like most others make.In my opinion its a great feature and very time saving when cleaning. I asked if DIY does and was told no they dont like that feature.

I agree the name DIY did throw me too as i thought it was going to be a cheaper cost and in a kit form.

I like some of the features but for me no swing out lower door was a turn off they did say they can do it but im alittle hesitant as most other companys already have this feature done and have worked out an flaws if their was any.Seems like they do great cages but i would like to hear some feedback of others who recieved them. I would like to know how thick the framing is in size compared to others this is important design feature. Im in the market for screen cages so im trying to see what other like and used.

Cages

Hello All,

Wow ... its incredible how information gets around so fast. These cages have only been offered for two months.

I would love to answer any questions about these cages on this forum, so that there is little need for speculation. I am in fact a herp enthusiast, just like you and had these cages made from what I think is the ideal (at least in my opinion). I use these cages myself and really enjoy them. Truthfully, I only keep Jacksons (as far as chameleons go), but have kept many others in the past. I've been in this industry a long time (30 years)... I remember when Parsons were $75 wholesale! Most of my cages now though are used to house lacertas and unusual anoles (chameleolis, etc..). I am mainly a gecko breeder (100+ species), but I do have many other lizards as well. Anyway .. enough about me.

I'll try to address some comments I've seen in this thread:

The name DiyCages.com is just from the fact that the cages come flat packed and you have to screw them together. We were not trying to fool anyone with the name. I just watch a lot of Diy Network : ) Sorry for the misunderstanding. Catchy though ..no?

The prices are in fact meant to be the lowest around. Shipping if you check on the website is included at no charge.

Shipping ... we ship fedex ground and it takes anywhere from 1 to 6 business days to arrive. IF THERE IS ANY SHIPPING DAMAGE ... please contact us and we will replace the products. We stand by all of our cages and lights. Our number is 1-800-560-2666.

New features: We have a very cool latch made of steel that fits into a little set hole that holds the door closed. I picked the latch, it works great and unlike the plastic ones, does not crack or break. There is a handle (stainless steel) to open the door ... why was there never a handle before? I personally love the handle. The bottom is made from 100% recycled pvc and is in fact drillable. Ok .. so now on to the screen. I have to say that I did not go with the aluminum screen and yes I understand about aluminum screen and the no rust thing, BUT ... every cage I have ever had with aluminum screen outdoors, has developed white oxidation spots and then the spots would become holes and then I would need a new cage. So.. we went with heavy duty steel mesh, coated with plastic. So far they have held up well outside (1 year and 1 winter of testing). There are some small rust spots that develop in the winter, but then they seem to fade as the weather improves. Inside testing has shown no rust whatsoever. We do not offer the swing out bottom feature. I did this on purpose and I understand that a lot of people like this. I myself do not like it. Its very easy for us to retrofit though, so if you insist on having this, just let us know. I just hated when the swing out clasps would constantly break and I would have to tape the bottom.

Lights - No better light on the market for the money. Made from all recycled light weight steel with aluminum reflectors and ceramic sockets. Will take upto 100 watt bulbs. Side switch ... 6' ul cable. You cannot go wrong with these... and I am not just trying to sell these. We only have a handful of each type left .. out of the first 400 units.

This last one I really liked ... As far as us not being able to compete with lll reptile ... well, that is just not the case. As stated before in this thread, we are a DBA of a larger company that makes Safes and Vault Doors. We've been in business for 66 years here and are the largest Safe company in San Diego. Now, I want to make it clear from the start. I know Loren through a mutual friend ... he and I have met from time to time at shows, so I have absolutely nothing bad to say about him or his company. This is just another product, that is similar, but with some different features. The cages he offers are nice as well, I have bought cages from him in the past. Just one thing though ... these are not knockoffs in any way, shape, or form. I had these made from my specs. There were many prototypes .. it took a lot of work to get these where they are now. But in saying that ...there are only so many ways you can make a box with screen walls : )

I would be happy to answer any other questions or concerns. These cages will be changing and morphing as issues come up.

Thank you for your time and considering our line of products.

Alec Feldman
President
DiyCages.com
Western Safe and Vault Co., Inc.

Did you just compare us to WalMart? LOL I take that as a compliment :) Just remember, we are family run, we just work really, really hard to keep our prices down

As for the cages - I have not seen these in person. I have seen other knock offs that look like decent products. The one thing we have down now is how flush they fit together, and the type of aluminum, and size of the holes, all geared towards the chameleon's needs. None the less, other cages on the market are never a bad thing for anyone!

Anyone in the Northern California area headed to the San Jose Reptile Expo this weekend - see ya there. Here is 10% off at our booth in case anyone wants to pick up these cages at the show, or any other supplies. Take care!

Scott - LLLReptile

http://lllreptile.com/specials/index.php

Scott,

Is your booth taking just cash or can we use credit this time? Either way, I will be there. Thanks for the coupon!

Back
Top Bottom