how are the DIY screen aluminum cages?

Alec,

I am not sure if you read or heard about the spiral light causing eye problems in herps. I Love your cage just wished they had a fluorescent tube light fixture.

For good prices on reptisun uvb tubes, check out LLL Reptiles, they sell the hoods as well as the bulbs, and all bulbs are 17.99 if i remember correctly, at least the 24" reptisun 5.0 bulb was 17.99. That's over 30$ less than petco was charging for spiral reptisun 10.0.....:mad:

The issue with using a screw in lamp... or CFL UVB lamp is that to produce the amount of UVB a larger flourecsent tube makes at say 12", the output has to be very strong near the surface of the lamp. SO..... this means that at close proximity the output of a CFL UVB lamp is VERY high. Get a sun burn after a few minutes with some brands, kind of high.

I think most people that use a CFL UVB lamp have success because they do not have the lamp within close proximity to the animal. Either the lamp isn't in a reflective enough hood and not as much UV is reflected or because it is hanging down there isn't as much UV projected downward. CFLs work bes on thier side, as these hoods will position them. CFL lamps need more distance from the basking place in order to be used 'safely' Personally... I won't use them. I did and learned a hard lesson and lost a cham to the Zoo Med 10.0. I didn't know that the CFLs put out such intense UVB and needed more room... until I found this forum and was directed to the UV Guide website.

Bottom line, using a CFL in a hood such as the zoo med or exo terra or the DIY will not give you enough safe distance between the animal and the lamp. This is especially true with young chams who like to climb the top of the cage and will find themselves with a nice UV burn or snow blindness.

I don't question the quality of the hoods being sold... but the use of UVB lamps. The UVB lamps that would be used in these hoods are not a good choice for chameleons. Extra care should be taken when using a CFL.... but preferably a linear lamp should be used.

cages and lights

Thank you to all the forum members for all the comments. I have not had a chance to be on this forum for a while. Its been quite hectic. We will take all your comments to our design team and see what we can do to ensure that the cages are always being improved to suit the needs of the true enthusiast. We will work on developing a linear light canopy and see if we can get a thicker pvc. Thank you very much once again for all your time and business. We'll do our best for you all.

Hope to see you at the Anaheim show in Sept.

Thanks again,
Alec
DiyCages.com

I bought the sc3 18x18x36 and it was a very nice cage. The screening was wrinkled a little, but still a nice cage.

Back
Top Bottom