How am I doing? (Husbandry check)

AnamCara

Chameleon Enthusiast
Mainly i want ya'lls opinion on my current husbandry. Also...

Does anyone elses chameleon hang out towards the bottom of the cage before shedding? My cham is only 2 months in my care and last weekend i moved her to a larger, forever enclosure. Her heat spot is only 90 so i dont think its too hot. Perch branch is 7 inch away from heat lamp. She doesnt hang at bottom all day and shes not pacing... could she just be exploring her new habitat? Hang out maybe 10 minutes and moves on... def about to shed.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 7-8 mo old panther chameleon. Had her about two months

Handling - How often do you handle you chameleon? I dont handle her. She is still new and I am pairing myself with food first per vet recommendation

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Cricket staple with occassional wax worm treat. She wont eat horn worms yet or dubai roaches but I make them available. When she is older ill skip a feeding or two to see if i can introduce more feeders.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Right now she gets phosphorous frew, D-Free calcium and Sticky tongue I every other day dusted on crickets. Will start reducing the sticky tongue at 1 year. Again per ver rec

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Constant dripper, fog and mist king. Misted every hour for a minute or two depending on time of day (2 min in AM 1 in afternoon) yes i see her drink.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Not tested yet but her poop looks good! Little bit of orange in urate sometimes but i think thats bc she only poops every other to every two days

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you... shes still new to me so im learning her habits!!

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? LARGE (23x23x48) dragon strand full mesh cage.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 36inch t5ho on 12 off 12

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Dang i havnt measured overnight temps.... 90 basking spot 75-80 ambient.
Multiple thermos but never checked at night bc shes asleep and all the lights in her room are off...

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 70-80% in most humid spot. 50 ambient. Measure with multiple humidity gages.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes. Pathos, umbrella, ficus, orchid, hibiscus and another pathos. Cleaned and sorted before entrance.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is in the corner of a spare bedroom /yoga room. No direct sun but plenty of of ambient not by vents or fans. Closed the vents in this room so i can control climate better and keep rest of my house cool for humans.

Location - Where are you geographically located? Colorado. My yoga/jungle/chameleon room has lots of othef tropical plants not in her cage to help the whole room stay himid and warmer.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I just wanna make sure im doing good for my Mona.

Attachments

• 20180424_191522.jpg
    20180424_191522.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 20180423_065742.jpg
    20180423_065742.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 15250152523293008485627238159592.jpg
    15250152523293008485627238159592.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 138
Meant to say she eats daily 10-12 medium crickets
Ahhh also meant to say im gut loading feeders with a variety of veg, green leafy kale spinach carrots tomatoes etc and some of my dogs avocado based grain free food for protein.

main thing I'd point out is the gut loading. from your "phosphorus free calcium powder" statement it seems like you understand dangers of too much phosphorus. spinach has a lot in it. not enough of an expert to say if its TOO much but I stay away from it for the most part. and generally cat/dog food can lead to gout, but that's because they're normally animal protein based, the avocado based food sounds like it is probably more safe.

main thing I'd point out is the gut loading. from your "phosphorus free calcium powder" statement it seems like you understand dangers of too much phosphorus. spinach has a lot in it. not enough of an expert to say if its TOO much but I stay away from it for the most part. and generally cat/dog food can lead to gout, but that's because they're normally animal protein based, the avocado based food sounds like it is probably more safe.

Ooo thanks ill be sure to watch for phos in my gut loading veg!

Back
Top Bottom