how 2 change soil

pudge

I got a couple plants and changed the soil, I also washed them off. After about a week both are losing all their leaves. The ficus has lost all its leaves the other plant lost about 70%. The plant lady said the change shocked them but they should come back. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I avoid it? Do I need to even change the soil? The plant lady said there is no need b/c the plants have been in the same soil for over a year with nothing added 2 them so all the chemicals have been washed out.

Ficus is notorious for dropping leaves when it is disturbed. They will re-grow unless the plant actually died (break a stem...if it is supple with sap the plant is still alive). Give it more light (not heat, just brighter light) and make sure the pot drains well. If you haven't ever fed the plants they do need repotting. If you use a liquid diluted plant food you don't have to worry about the chams picking the fertilizer up on their tongues.

Cham cage plants often get bare and twiggy because they only get exposed to light from the top. You can help them leaf out more by setting a regular fluorescent light (or a used ReptiSun) vertically along one side of the cage.

So what should I feed the plants?
If my cham cant eat any of the dirt is there no reason to use organic soil?

So what should I feed the plants?
If my cham cant eat any of the dirt is there no reason to use organic soil?

Why don't you put earthworms into the organic soil? Their castings will help as fertilizer.
Use organic soil. The chemical stuffs can be absorbed by the plants and if your chameleon eat the leaves, you can guess what is going to happen.

better be safe than sorry.

Go to a plant store and buy fish emulsions. It is a natural fertilizer that will not harm your chameleons. It will help your plant grow if you put some into the soil. I use it for all my plants that I feel need a little boost that are in chameleon cages. It has a little odor but that will subside after the first day. It has helped my hibiscus stay alive all winter without losing leaves and keeps my plants growing. I also use a plant grow light as the second light in my double fixtures in the spot the UVB light isn't in. Trust me fish emulsions work wonders for plants that cannot have real fertilizer due to cham health risks.

Justin

Second for fish emulsion. It smells like death but it goes away in time. I have a Hibiscus that is flowering right now, in January, thanks to fish emulsion. Also, when and if you transplant, use a soil that is 1/3rd perilite, 1/3rd vermiculite and 1/3rd peat moss. Trust me, that combo works for almost every plant I have ever grown.

Place rocks on the bottom of the pot for drainage, mix your soil and lay down a layer of the 1/3rdx1/3rdx1/3rd over the rocks that is high enough so when the rootball rests on it the top of the roots will be 3 inches below the edge of the pot. Pack that soil down with your hands nice and tight.

Then place your transplant on top of this layer and start filling in around the rootball, packing it down as you fill. Once you get to the top give it one more good packing and place a layer of sphagnum moss over top of the soil to keep moisture in and the plant will do fine.

Back
Top Bottom