Household CFL with UVB output?!?!

I set up a cage today for my female veiled and I am using a household CFL as supplemental lighting for the plants.... took some readings for the actually UVB lamp and found the CFL to be putting out UVB as well?! :confused::confused:

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

I am going to use the light for now... but see how it affects Caddie. If this thing puts out UVB whose to say its not putting out UVC? :confused::mad:

Somehow I'm not surprised. Here's some re-affirmation for you Kevin. I just checked an old CF and got a reading as well.
uvb.jpg

I have used the common house hold cfl for added light on alot of my enclosureS for about a year and a half with no problems at all . I even use them over neonates. They have mercury in them guess thats what causes the uvb out put.

Not what we are talking about.....

you should not use the coil UV it causes blindness and serious illness

We aren't talking about the coil UVB reptile lights. We are talking about coil house light bulbs. The type we are supposed to be switching to. I use them in a lot of my cham cages to brighten some things up a bit too. Never thought about them emitting UVB though. Wow....Thanks for the heads up Kevin.

We aren't talking about the coil UVB reptile lights. We are talking about coil house light bulbs. The type we are supposed to be switching to. I use them in a lot of my cham cages to brighten some things up a bit too. Never thought about them emitting UVB though. Wow....Thanks for the heads up Kevin.

You have a meter right? Take some readings, I am curious to know how much UVB you get.

Will take readings soon :)

I'm just catching up on some stuff today. Will try to take readings later today. I am curious about it. Wondering if it varies from brand to brand of coil houselight. I think I have a couple of brands. Will post results later.

Actually I have one of these laying around. Got it for addtl. lighting along with a plant growth bulb, but wasn't sure about the coil for eyesight issues, etc. Now that I know it's safe and provides some UVB, I will definetly put it to use. Thanks for sharing.

My household ones here in Canada put out the same - about 60-90 right next to the bulb
and 45 a few inches away through screen.

It's a shame the world is switching to these, they contain mercury and it's going
to wreak havoc on the ecosystem in about 20 years+, our pooooor oceans :(

Back
Top Bottom