Hot weather

JoXie411

Chameleon Enthusiast
Any advice on keeping chameleons cool in the summer time? It gets up to the 100 and some times higher where I live.

Are you keeping yours outside?
They are kept in my house but my house is very old and horrible in any weather. My house gets into the 90s in the summer and can’t have ac on at all because housemate is rude about electric bill

They are kept in my house but my house is very old and horrible in any weather. My house gets into the 90s in the summer and can’t have ac on at all because housemate is rude about electric bill

Got it. You could consider misting more often during summer time. One way to create a cool mist would be to place some ice in the bucket of the misting system, if you're using one. A small fan to move the air around would cool things down even more.

Reducing heat output from the basking bulb could help as well.

Just a couple of ideas.

I’ve heard of someone putting iced up water bottles all around the bottom of the enclosure floors

I was told to turn off basking bulbs in the case of really hot weather when the cage exceeds temps. You may also consider a small window unit air conditioner. They really are not that expensive to run and then you would just be cooling the one room down. Then at least you would still have your temperature gradient through the cage.

If you use an outdoor cage in the summer keep it mostly in the shade with some dappled sunlight for UVB and you can mist the area around it as well to cool things down. Indoors a room AC unit is a good plan. At night I have put cold packs on the top of the cage above the favorite sleeping spot and run an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier for several hours.

Thanks for the advice. The ac unit will not work for me because like I said housemate controls the electric bill and I get yelled at over just have lights on at all times for my chameleons (I know it’s ridiculous) so your saying I might not need a basking spot durning the summer? Just need a little more clarification on that to be 100%
I was told to turn off basking bulbs in the case of really hot weather when the cage exceeds temps. You may also consider a small window unit air conditioner. They really are not that expensive to run and then you would just be cooling the one room down. Then at least you would still have your temperature gradient through the cage.

Thank you. Around 12 the room is really hot and I turn off the lights around that time. Doesn’t help the sun rises on that side of the house. Right now I’m the thermostat till I move lol less stuff to move the better.

I found this on amazon an was considering it.

Inkbird ITC-608T Temperature Controller with Dual Temperature Sensor Pre-Wired AC Dual Stage Outlet Thermostat with 12 Period Time Stage, 1800w, ETL Listed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MB16C3K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5XjWCbKTJMT7S
8421286C-E3C9-4FA7-B92F-BA5354131BA1.png

Back
Top Bottom