horrible petco

NYChameleon

I was in petco today getting dog food and I was looking at their reptiles and they had 2 baby veileds..They were in a huge glass tank with one vine in it and a huge water bowl..There was a cricket in there that had to be 3 times the size of the chams head..no basking light, the only positive thing they had was a UVB light..its miserable how a "Pet" store that is a huge corporation cant train anyone on how to take care of the pets that they sell..I dont know about in other places but in the NYC are the people that are working in these stores look like they just got out of jail.

Wish i could do something. I work at Petco here in Atlanta and we're required to do all sorts of training (tests, classes, they even gave me textbooks to keep) and it should be that way in Ny but it doesnt sound like theyre doing what theyre supposed to be doing. I will assure you the chameleons and other reptiles are well taken care of here.

i dont think any pet store that i have seen chameleons in has had them properly set up, they are always in glass cages i have even seen a few with frogs and waterfalls in them, it is sad that these places call themselves pet care stores. my gf is a dog groomer for pet smart and the people that work in the reptile department would be lucky if they knew a chameleon from an iguana it is sad to say. pluss they would have to spend $$ to change there glass cages to screen and of corse a multi million doller co. such as pet smart or pet co can not aford to do that. sorry this is a tuchy topic for me the big pet stores that know nothing are putting the small family owend stores that know what they are doing out of bizz and we all suport it buy shoping at pet co or pet smart insted of the mom and pop shop just to save 50 cents its sad.

yeah I usually dont shop there unless i have to. the only fam owned store near me isnt that great either and they dont have the dog food I need..when im back by my parents in brooklyn I get my stuff there.

Hi everybody!
They used to sell baby Veils at both our local Petco and Petsmart stores. It's been awhile and there hasn't been any Chameleons sold at either stores for at least several years. Reason: High rate of death(No shocker there).. Even these chain pet store managers realized that it wasn't worth selling Chameleons if the end result was death to these babies which meant zero or negative profit margins!!
It seems like the only reason that stores discontinue selling baby Chameleons is when it hits them economically.
Christine

well i know the petco in nyc at 17 street has baby veileds (or did) they were actually selling them for $189.00 or tried to at least. i have seen them carry rudis, veileds and jackson's which they keep in these wide but low glass tanks yet they put the hermit crabs in these giant 4 foot high glass enclosures? go figure, it just breaks my heart, i actually do not even look anymore!!!
drew

They have also stopped selling chams at the one near my place as well. They have replaced em with those water dragons.

I only go to petco if I have to.. and I would never buy an animal from em either.

not that i know anything cause i don't but i have been talking to a manager at my local petsmart, He is trying to change they way his store at least does things, I have givin him a lot of info and also this site so he can learn from all you wonderful teachers, He is very nice an seems very sincire. However i did ask about the screen cages and he said there was no way to get them , I asked why and he said they have to many problems with people stealing animals and this would make it way to easy to be done. He told me that they actually steal the freaking fish right out of the tanks (Talk about desperate) He is very aware of the problems and in this particular store they refuse to carry them because they don't know how to take care of them properly( I give props) so he is now trying to educate himself and the employee's

Back
Top Bottom