Hornworms!!!

If you order the "teal" worms, with the yellow food, the odor isn't even noticeable.

The turquoise colored Hornworms are a result of feeding the catepillars a wheat germ based food that does not contain a specific ingredient included in green plants such as Mulberry. That's why your worms grow green if you raise them on Mulberry chow, and Teal green if you raise them on the more expensive Wheat Germ.

In my experience, chams prefer the teal ones.

-Dave
SPF

I've rotated the same group of worms in the fridge for 2 days and out one day for nearly a month now and have had 0 problems. They "unthaw" and go back to gobbling down chow. I thought maybe one would die but not yet

I've rotated the same group of worms in the fridge for 2 days and out one day for nearly a month now and have had 0 problems. They "unthaw" and go back to gobbling down chow. I thought maybe one would die but not yet

Yea, I've had the same close calls, and that's why I don't really recommend it as it's stressful to the worms, and begging for disease problems from a decreased immune response.

You swear that they're dead, dont ya?

-Dave
SPF

I agree that I can't notice a smell from them, at least not one that is unpleasant. I'm impressed that you guys are bothered by it, that's amazing.

I actually don't like the teal worms. They feel weak and limp to me. The green ones fed on the dark food wiggle and hold their shape if you've got them by tweezers, but the teal ones just limp over and move less. I've gotten the teal ones maybe 4-5 times and the green ones way more often and I prefer the green ones.

I agree that I can't notice a smell from them, at least not one that is unpleasant. I'm impressed that you guys are bothered by it, that's amazing.

I actually don't like the teal worms. They feel weak and limp to me. The green ones fed on the dark food wiggle and hold their shape if you've got them by tweezers, but the teal ones just limp over and move less. I've gotten the teal ones maybe 4-5 times and the green ones way more often and I prefer the green ones.

Well the advantage of working with a company that sells both Silkworms and Hornworms is just that. If you let me know that you want Mulberry chow instead of Hornworm chow, I'd be happy to pack your order with it. However, since Hornworm chow costs me more, I might just have to put an extra overcount in there for you ;-)

Blessed love my friends,
-Dave
SPF

Well the advantage of working with a company that sells both Silkworms and Hornworms is just that. If you let me know that you want Mulberry chow instead of Hornworm chow, I'd be happy to pack your order with it. However, since Hornworm chow costs me more, I might just have to put an extra overcount in there for you ;-)

Blessed love my friends,
-Dave
SPF

Good to know!
I probably will order from you soon enough, I'm waiting on my current stash of insects to dwindle down a little. I'm always more than willing to support fellow members.

I too am a little boggled.. not sure what smell you have from your horns that is so noticeable. I myself have never experience a smell.. thankfully!!! I also buy from Mulberry. They are great!
I have to say though lately when I go to pick up the hormns they squirted some brown liquidy stuff from them and one or two made a percolating (bubbling) kinda sound :eek: Anyone else have this happen? I never noticed that before.
Btw Glad to hear opinions about the Teal horns cause I've be debating on trying them and for now maybe I'll pass but possibly in the future.

I can't prove my opinions on the teal worms in a scientific journal, but that's what I've noticed at least lol I've never had a cup of each to really compare them but that's the impression that I've gotten. Which is a shame because I love the blue color, but alas! I'll stick to the dark green food instead for the time being.

just ordered 2 cups of each, green and teal horn worms, I'll keep you all updated.

Can't wait to hear how it goes! Please keep us posted. What I can tell you, without a doubt, the teal hornworms are better fed and more nutritious.

-Dave

Good to know!
I probably will order from you soon enough, I'm waiting on my current stash of insects to dwindle down a little. I'm always more than willing to support fellow members.

My apologies to the thread author for the hijack, but that sounds great, Olimpia. I look forward to your order. We'll be adding Superworms and possibly Crickets here soon. Isopods, Fusca Roaches, Discoidialis Roaches, Vinegar Eels, and Microworms are breeding to acceptable numbers now though. I'll definitely keep everyone updated on that.

well I moved my hornworms to a larger enclosure, removed the regular food from the green horn worms, left the two cups of teal horn worm foods, and have been giving them bug burger also.

I have also started a second enclosure, with live tomato plants, so that any horn worms that gestate into moths, can lay eggs, and begin the cycle over again :-D

my chameleon seems to like horn worms, he ate 3 2" ones today. He wouldn't eat anything else.

I have also started a second enclosure, with live tomato plants, so that any horn worms that gestate into moths, can lay eggs, and begin the cycle over again :-D

Good luck with the breeding ! I had absolutely NONE with my experience... lol.

my chameleon seems to like horn worms, he ate 3 2" ones today. He wouldn't eat anything else.

It was funny, my panther was late on his growth spurt - and the moment I found hornworm's that were small enough I fed them to him. Within a week he shed, grew about 30%, and started producing CRAZY colors out of no where... it was awesome !

sweet..as for the tomato, just remove any eggs before they hatch and start feeding (the tomato plant is toxic, im sure you know that, probably using the plant to induce laying behaviour)..as for temps on keeping these guys at a slower pace..mine have slowed quite a bit at 67 degrees(i have an extra exo-terra digi-incubator) this seems to work really well so far..i may try a lil lower temps as they are all still eating quite fast and are also still growing everyday..

p.s. on another note..they really do not stink..smell kinda like that dried berry-jerky from a health food store (the worms themselfs are very clean, not really any smell)..and i have fed the silkies some of the hornworm food as well and they grew(they shipped lots of silk worms with very little chow and a very small container that i had to change out, as they reccomend) and then they put hardly any chow in it..as for the hornies, i got about 20, and a huge amount of chow (a little more than half the cup was filled)..so i took some out to save and divy out to them as they all eat it..try and control growth through food consumption and heat...:D

@angrychair- I find the use of tomato plants unnecessary to stimulate egg laying. My moths lay several hundred eggs each night with no stimulation at all lol and I bet those plants will just complicate the egg collection process infinitely.

Also from recent (poor) experience I can definetly say that while horn worms can eat silkworm food it depresses their growth significantly and I found a higher hatchling mortality rate verses the tan wheat germ food. And the smell of the mulberry chow while not unpleasant to me is stronger imo than the wheat germ especially while cooking it.

Caitlin
SPF supplier :)

Back
Top Bottom