hornworms.

repsol153

this might sound stupid. but i just bought hornworms for the first time from great lakes hornworm. and im confused on how to store them. should the food be on top and the lid on the bottom, or the other way around. thanks

Lid down on a shelf that allows air to get underneath it (I set mine on top of one of my unused screen cages)so the food is at the top. They should be stored at room temperature till they are near the size you want, then rotate them into the fridge (2 days in 1 day out).

I thought refrigeration kills hornworms? Also if they are kept at room temperature they grow rather slow. The last pod of them I had took over 3 weeks to reach +4 inches while other pods took less than a week when it was warmer in my house. I wonder how fast they grow in the summer....

My room temp is 73-74 degrees, that is what we keep our AC on pretty much everyday year round. They grow like weeds at that temp for me!

My room temp is 73-74 degrees, that is what we keep our AC on pretty much everyday year round. They grow like weeds at that temp for me!

yeah they do the same for me to but to slow their growth i keep them in the fridge for 2 days and 1 day out.

I thought refrigeration kills hornworms? Also if they are kept at room temperature they grow rather slow. The last pod of them I had took over 3 weeks to reach +4 inches while other pods took less than a week when it was warmer in my house. I wonder how fast they grow in the summer....

I cycle mine in the fridge to slow their growth and have never had an issue with them dieing off, I can usually keep them in the 1.5 inch to 3in range for 3 to 4 weeks (2 days in 1 day out).

The eggs to my knowledge can't be refrigerated (but I haven't tried).

Back
Top Bottom