hornworms

JlaPinska

So in the state of NC we naturally get hornworms on tomato crops. Our landlord planted a row of tomato plants in the nearby field. I decided that i would go and look for some worms, eggs, whatever i could find. But it seems i am too late, the plants are all laying on the ground now, not a worm in sight. They must be pupating now. I thought about taking a spade and digging at the base of the plants and see if i can find some pupae. Would that be the best spot or should i just dig up the entire row? Oh, and how far down should i dig?? Please get back to me asap!

Tomato plants are toxic to chameleons , so you if you feed a chameleon a hornworm that has been on a tomato plant you run a risk of harming your chameleon. So I wouldn't bother trying to go find some unless you are using them as a breeding project

You should never feed your chameleon hornworms that have eaten tomato plants. Tomatoes and tomato plants are toxic to chameleons. Only commercially available hornworms fed hornworm chow are safe for them to eat. I'm not sure if the eggs would be toxic as well, but I wouldn't take the chance. Maybe someone with more experience on this topic will chime in.

i am planning to breed them lol otherwise i wouldn't be trying to dig them up while they are pupating. this will be my first attempt so i need to know how far down they dig themselves in

eggs aren't toxic. there is a huge thread on breeding them in this category and they were successful. as long as i don't feed the hatchlings tomato/tomato plant, i'm good

eggs aren't toxic. there is a huge thread on breeding them in this category and they were successful. as long as i don't feed the hatchlings tomato/tomato plant, i'm good

Correct , I miss read your first post as in looking for hornworms to go ahead and feed .

I've read that hornworms burrow around 6-8 inches in the ground when in the pupae state .

Happy Hunting !

I just got permission from my landlord to go dig up the tomato plots, and he said none of the plants were sprayed with pesticide.

YAY
!!

:D:D:D

Correct , I miss read your first post as in looking for hornworms to go ahead and feed .

I've read that hornworms burrow around 6-8 inches in the ground when in the pupae state .

Happy Hunting !

thanks! good to know how far down i should go. Gonna go tomorrow and start the "excavation" lol.

a friend and employee who is in the reptile department said if my breeding is a success, he will let the owner know and she may want to buy from me :)

went and dug up the plots today but found nothing. the ground is very sandy so they probably went elsewhere to burrow. or we just missed them

Back
Top Bottom