Hornworms in UK

FiveLeftToes

56BECB97-CE20-40D1-8F15-5B717E66A7B7.jpeg
hey all,
I’ve been wondering about Hornworms as a treat for my beardy and for future Chameleon( I still haven’t found Roz) and I read that they are illegal in the UK?? Is this true? Also, Amazon UK is selling some(see photo) and I was wondering whether they are a good food or not. If so, is it worth the risk of buying them if they are not meant to be sold in the UK. Thanks in advance.

I agree they are illegal in the u.k, I’ve never heard of anyone keeping them but why don’t you try silkworms, I get mine from the silkwormstore, he sells 250 eggs and a small bag of chow, there’s a kit but I think it’s cheaper separately, I’ve just got a load from him and touch wood they are growing well, I find there’s always smaller and bigger worms so always something the right size to feed, he has a lot of good articles on his site and he’s helpful if you have questions. Making the chow up is easy and it lasts a good time in the fridge. A bag of dried chow lasts a long time and goes a long way.
They are super nutritious and legal and easy to obtain.
Good luck.

I've never found any here in the UK in 10 years of chameleon ownership. I believe they are illegal as they are invasive. I also remember reading that they eat tomato plant leaves which are not good for chameleons. Silkworms are a good alternative and I know you can get those in the UK.

Those things can strip a tomato plant down to the stems overnight. Once they eat tomato leaves (member of the deadly nightshade family) they shouldn't be use as cham food. Here in the US they are fed a special chow. I don't feed them much just because they are so strong that if they have a good grip on something when the cham strikes them it can strain or injure their tongue.
I do like silks!

View attachment 204638 hey all,
I’ve been wondering about Hornworms as a treat for my beardy and for future Chameleon( I still haven’t found Roz) and I read that they are illegal in the UK?? Is this true? Also, Amazon UK is selling some(see photo) and I was wondering whether they are a good food or not. If so, is it worth the risk of buying them if they are not meant to be sold in the UK. Thanks in advance.
do get them. big chams seem to love them and they are good for chameleons who are dehydrated. I would have gotten some if they where around here in the North.

I just checked Amazon and it says dispatched from the u.k, if you click on detailed seller info the seller is in California. I’ve never heard of them here and I would play safe with silks.
You can buy small batches of grown silkworms from the silkworm store and on eBay very easily too.

Thanks all, I appreciate the info. I will be taking your advice and getting silk worms. I will try breeding them. I have hundreds of Dubia roaches that I’ve bred from5 that I bought. My bearded dragon loves them. Will let you know how I get on with the silk worms. If anyone in uk wants Dubias, let me know. I’m getting too many now lol

Back
Top Bottom