Hornworm question

summerseeking

Avid Member
I'm trying to figure out if the hornworm produced by hawkmoths, that are raised on tomatoes, are toxic for reptiles.

The hornworms themselves won't eat tomatoes, just the parents during their life cycle. Asking because they grow so much faster on their natural diet. Plus, I have a few eggs that hatched on the plant that I'm going to let live out their life cycle. I don't have the heart to cull them.

I'm trying to figure out if the hornworm produced by hawkmoths, that are raised on tomatoes, are toxic for reptiles.

The hornworms themselves won't eat tomatoes, just the parents during their life cycle. Asking because they grow so much faster on their natural diet. Plus, I have a few eggs that hatched on the plant that I'm going to let live out their life cycle. I don't have the heart to cull them.
No they are not.

Look here...
https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/field/hornworm.htm
"The adult moth feeds on the nectar of various flowers and, like the larval form, is most active from dusk until dawn".
The worms eat the leaves of the tomato plant, which is when they get toxic, I believe
Exactly, so I'm wondering if I raise a set of hornworms on tomato plants through pupation and into adult moths...will the hornworms they produce be safe for reptiles? The eggs they lay will be collected before they hatch. Does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom