Hornworm Problems

Zorfia

I recently bought hornworms and tried to feed them to my female Jackson's chameleon. I put the hornworm into her cage and she tried to eat it, but her tongue just hit it, pulled it a little, and then let go. She tried to get it a few times but with no luck.
I tried to feed it to her with it between my fingers with it not gripping onto anything and she just gave me her "I don't think so." look.
The hornworm is about 1 1/2 inches. It is not wider than the space between her eyes, so she won't choke on it. Is the hornworms grip too strong for her? Or is there something wrong with her or her tongue?

It sounds like what happened with my panther when I first offered a hornworm. He snagged it but the hornworm didn't let go so he basically had to reel in his tongue and walk to the worm. Honestly scared the shit out of me. I'd try offering other insects like waxworms, supers, or crickets and see if the tongue 'issue' persists.

She ate wax worms out of my hand about 5 minutes after trying for the hornworm without any problems. She ate about 7 of them in a row, I think she really likes them! And she doesn't usually have problems with crickets, and she pulls them off of her branches and screen with her tongue no problem. Before all of my silkworms cocooned 3 weeks ago she was also eating huge silkworms off of branches without problems.

I've been trying to offer her food other than crickets cause she is addicted to them. I've seen people say that they can get addicted to wax worms though so I don't want to have that happen.

The hornworms are starting to get huge very fast, I don't know if they will be small enough for her to eat in a few days...

One thing I have noticed about her tongue though is that it's a purple color, but the big round tip part of her tongue is pink. Is that normal?

Oh wow, I didn't realize they were unhealthy. I was about to start breeding them for her, I'm glad you said something.
I couldn't get any pictures of her with her mouth open. She had it open cause she was hot but closed it when I came closer to get a pic. I turned her heat bulb off so she will cool off, it is really hot outside where I live today.

I think I will start a different thread in the health section for the tongue problem. She has a white patch on her head I am worried about also.

I have a few more food questions though: Are crickets, superworms, and silkworms with an occasional silk moth healthy choices for feeders? How can I get her to eat Phoenix worms? And are the flies the Phoenix worms turn into healthy for her to eat?

As stated above, waxworms aren't typically nutritious. They are mostly fat and can become 'addictive'. I usually feed one or two every several days or so.

If you need to slow the growth of your hornworms you can put them in the fridge for 24-48 hours. Just don't forget them or they won't survive.

Oh wow, I didn't realize they were unhealthy. I was about to start breeding them for her, I'm glad you said something.
I couldn't get any pictures of her with her mouth open. She had it open cause she was hot but closed it when I came closer to get a pic. I turned her heat bulb off so she will cool off, it is really hot outside where I live today.

I think I will start a different thread in the health section for the tongue problem. She has a white patch on her head I am worried about also.

I have a few more food questions though: Are crickets, superworms, and silkworms with an occasional silk moth healthy choices for feeders? How can I get her to eat Phoenix worms? And are the flies the Phoenix worms turn into healthy for her to eat?
Have you taken temps in her cage. Middle of cage and about 2 inches from basking bulb

If you need to slow the growth of your hornworms you can put them in the fridge for 24-48 hours. Just don't forget them or they won't survive.
If you have a separate refrigator, I keep a mini, you can keeps worms of all types for a few weeks. Mealworms for 3 months. Just put at 50 degrees.

can anyone give me a easier formula for food to make. I cant believe that there is still only one formula to follow. Is that what you guys all use?

Back
Top Bottom