Hornworm Moth

Highway61

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'm a new cham keeper so I reckon this has probably come up many times here in the past but after *not* giving my 9 month Jacksons any hornworms in probably three months, found a huge moth in the viv! My cham did walk past the moth on a vine looking very curiously at it the whole time. I should've ran upstairs to get my phone so I can take a picture but I had just rolled out of bed and was still getting the dogs out to potty and be fed routine. When I came back the moth was nowhere to be found. It was at least half the size of my cham but I suppose he still could've eaten it :eek:

Anyway, is it common for cham keepers to have a hormworm survive not being a meal and metamorphize in 2 to 3 months?

Not unheard of, but rare. I actually managed to find a five spotted Hawk Moth, Chanman enjoyed it.
IMG_20190723_225049_392.jpg

When my hornworms get too big or my cham looses interest, I will actually 'plant' my hornworms in a few inches of damp organic soil in a cricket keeper and hatch them into moths.

When my hornworms get too big or my cham looses interest, I will actually 'plant' my hornworms in a few inches of damp organic soil in a cricket keeper and hatch them into moths.
Is that how it works? You plant the worms themselves?

Happens a few times a year, especially if you have a big custom viv like mine and free range everything. BSFL too.

You Cham can take that moth, it’s squishy. We tell newbies the “between the eyes” rule to keep them from doing anything stupid to their Cham but the true limiting factor is the distance between the inside of each side of his jaw.

Happens a few times a year, especially if you have a big custom viv like mine and free range everything. BSFL too.

You Cham can take that moth, it’s squishy. We tell newbies the “between the eyes” rule to keep them from doing anything stupid to their Cham but the true limiting factor is the distance between the inside of each side of his jaw.

I have a video of this somewhere---but I put a bunch of horn worms in a pot and put them in my old small reptibreeze on the other side of the room from my chameleon.

Her light shuts off at 8 and I went in to turn the room light off and I the moth was flying around the reptibreeze and she was eyeing it hardcore from the side of her cage. Hilarious!

I'm a new cham keeper so I reckon this has probably come up many times here in the past but after *not* giving my 9 month Jacksons any hornworms in probably three months, found a huge moth in the viv! My cham did walk past the moth on a vine looking very curiously at it the whole time. I should've ran upstairs to get my phone so I can take a picture but I had just rolled out of bed and was still getting the dogs out to potty and be fed routine. When I came back the moth was nowhere to be found. It was at least half the size of my cham but I suppose he still could've eaten it :eek:

Anyway, is it common for cham keepers to have a hormworm survive not being a meal and metamorphize in 2 to 3 months?
It's happened to me only once. Same scenario. Wife freaked out and I didn't get to let my Cham eat it tho.

I got a bunch of hornworms that were too big... so I let them be. Mine turned into big ugly pupa... like brown Chile peppers... the tops looped like a stem and the bottom wiggled but they never became moths. I wonder what I should have done differently. How do you care for pupa and how long does it take?

I got a bunch of hornworms that were too big... so I let them be. Mine turned into big ugly pupa... like brown Chile peppers... the tops looped like a stem and the bottom wiggled but they never became moths. I wonder what I should have done differently. How do you care for pupa and how long does it take?

Keep the dirt they are in moist and give them a long-ass time. I had one take 9 months. If it still wiggles it could still hatch.

Keep the dirt they are in moist and give them a long-ass time. I had one take 9 months. If it still wiggles it could still hatch.
Thanks. It wiggles... it’s actually quite unsettling. Baby hornworms are so cute but this... eew.

Back
Top Bottom