Hornworm cups?

15-20 hornworms/cup (per the Mulberry Farms hornworm page). Hornworms are apparently yummy; I've found they grow astonishingly fast. If you have a lot of animals, and/or big animals (adult veileds, panthers, beardies) that can handle the big hornworms it's certainly worth getting a cup; if you're looking at feeding one or two juvenile chameleons, you'll be able to feed them hornworms for two or three days, and then the worms will be too big for them (in my experience). Just a heads' up.

15-20 hornworms/cup (per the Mulberry Farms hornworm page). Hornworms are apparently yummy; I've found they grow astonishingly fast. If you have a lot of animals, and/or big animals (adult veileds, panthers, beardies) that can handle the big hornworms it's certainly worth getting a cup; if you're looking at feeding one or two juvenile chameleons, you'll be able to feed them hornworms for two or three days, and then the worms will be too big for them (in my experience). Just a heads' up.

well i have been thinking about it, but what about silkworms? there is so many more that i can buy with them?

I find silkworms easier to utilize than hornworms, though they require some upkeep. When I've bought them, I buy 100 small from Mulberry, and a couple pounds of the dry silkworm chow mix. They grow quite fast, too, but not quite as fast nor quite as big as hornworms; additionally, if you have too many big ones for your animals' needs, you can let them pupate, hatch (my leopard gecko tells me silk moths are his favorite food ever), mate, lay eggs, and begin the process over again; like Dubias, they can be self-sustaining. If you're getting a hundred, I'd try to have at least a five gallon container for them, and you'll be getting in there and cleaning it daily while they're growing.

Silkworms 101 is a good thread with a lot of information; I learned all my silkworm info from there.

I find silkworms easier to utilize than hornworms, though they require some upkeep. When I've bought them, I buy 100 small from Mulberry, and a couple pounds of the dry silkworm chow mix. They grow quite fast, too, but not quite as fast nor quite as big as hornworms; additionally, if you have too many big ones for your animals' needs, you can let them pupate, hatch (my leopard gecko tells me silk moths are his favorite food ever), mate, lay eggs, and begin the process over again; like Dubias, they can be self-sustaining. If you're getting a hundred, I'd try to have at least a five gallon container for them, and you'll be getting in there and cleaning it daily while they're growing.

Silkworms 101 is a good thread with a lot of information; I learned all my silkworm info from there.

haha nice thanks for the info! :) I want to buy bulk since i live in SD its hard to get all the right supplies..and if i buy alot and then i won't have enough for food for them and shipping..

i personally find silkies harder to keep alive than hornworms and that my cham likes hornworms alot more but every cham is different.

Just get the hornworms too.
When ordering you will get a box that asks for any instructions...just beg them for tiny horns and you'll be able to feed most of them off before they get to big.
No work, no fuss.
A lot easier for the newbie then silkworms.

Think of it this way...
I have 5 chameleons and I swore that I spend more time taking care of silkworms then I do my chameleons.
Just get a cup of silks instead.
Mulberry might not have cups or pods right now, but costal silkworms does.
They have hornworm pods too.
This is my first order with costal so ill tell ya how my worms came later when I get them today.

Harry

When ordering you will get a box that asks for any instructions...just beg them for tiny horns and you'll be able to feed most of them off before they get to big.
No work, no fuss.

Think of it this way...
I have 5 chameleons and I swore that I spend more time taking care of silkworms then I do my chameleons.
This is my first order with costal so ill tell ya how my worms came later when I get them today.

Harry

thanks Harry! :) I will try the hornworms too :) but still i am going to try the silkworms :) just to test them out :)

No work, no fuss.

Think of it this way...

Harry

i had a bad experience with coastal, their merchandise was over the shelf date as the hornworms were huge so they perished fast and the silkies were in such bad condition it looked like it was gonna breed coccidilla, i mean bad nasty feeders, so i reordered and the same thing happened again, i feed the silkies tat nite but all 200 were dead the next morning, that guy is only out to make a dollar, he does not care about his stock and inventory is sent even iif it is past the date, i had maggots in a horn worm cup, i have pic to prove it all, but dont want to slam him because it not necessary, BUT, i will never order from him again, i was very disipointed, i spent over 100.00$ and had NOTHING . It was a bad mistake and hurt me in a big way, but i am eating beans the rest of the month!!! and staying home with my critters. Looking for another company for better quality feeders for my Chammys, those were nothing nice i was almost afraid to feed due to coccidilla possibilities of being present, in all seriousness, he slammed me in a biig bad way just to make a dollar, i so hate capitilisium like he pratices, i have nothing nice to say about that company and the man behind it except he should hire someone with OCD to get the job done of inventory dates and freasness before offering it to potential costermers, so i went to pet co and petsmart to get supers,crickets, and waxworms for the moment till i find another offer that is reasonable, i have a dubois colony, wanted to get hornworm moths but due to the condition of the inventory i was unable too, i lost that bet!!!

i had a bad experience with coastal, their merchandise was over the shelf date as the hornworms were huge so they perished fast and the silkies were in such bad condition it looked like it was gonna breed coccidilla, i mean bad nasty feeders, so i reordered and the same thing happened again, i feed the silkies tat nite but all 200 were dead the next morning, that guy is only out to make a dollar, he does not care about his stock and inventory is sent even iif it is past the date, i had maggots in a horn worm cup, i have pic to prove it all, but dont want to slam him because it not necessary, BUT, i will never order from him again, i was very disipointed, i spent over 100.00$ and had NOTHING . It was a bad mistake and hurt me in a big way, but i am eating beans the rest of the month!!! and staying home with my critters. Looking for another company for better quality feeders for my Chammys, those were nothing nice i was almost afraid to feed due to coccidilla possibilities of being present, in all seriousness, he slammed me in a biig bad way just to make a dollar, i so hate capitilisium like he pratices, i have nothing nice to say about that company and the man behind it except he should hire someone with OCD to get the job done of inventory dates and freasness before offering it to potential costermers, so i went to pet co and petsmart to get supers,crickets, and waxworms for the moment till i find another offer that is reasonable, i have a dubois colony, wanted to get hornworm moths but due to the condition of the inventory i was unable too, i lost that bet!!!

Thats how it is sometimes the petstore close to me dosent allow ppl to get male crickets and just gives you females so you dont breed your own,so you keep coming back to them. Funny thing is they run out and that effecets my animals but they dont care they just see their profit and if my animals die their like nothing we can do.

If they only give you females, then you can breed. The females at the store more than likely are already prego and ready to lay. They would need to give you males to make breeding hard.

I work in a private family owned pet supply, and the business that provides our crickets and hornworms etc.., told me to refrig the hornworms to slow down their growth process. This has worked very well for me, but, it takes hours for the worms to get lively and moving, before feeding them off, after removing them from the fridge.

What do you mean? I feel like you're being disrespectful when all i'm trying to do is help you. If you don't want help then don't post anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

What do you mean? I feel like you're being disrespectful when all i'm trying to do is help you. If you don't want help then don't post anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Take it as you will , Also its America I can post if I want, "JD went worth its my money and I want it now"lol :cool:.

Back
Top Bottom