Hornworm Breeding

i think the yellow chow makes them teal colored isntead of just green.
at least thats what i read from the mulberry farms website.
and it smells horrible. i hate it. almost makes me want to buy a mini fridge to store it in its own place so i don thave to have it in my fridge with my food.

Haha that iz what I do, gf wont let me keep all my bugs in the kitchen refrigerator :p

Haha that iz what I do, gf wont let me keep all my bugs in the kitchen refrigerator :p

Haha. well fortunatly, i odnt have alot of bugs i need to store.. and i only have the hornworm food, so its not worth it. thought might change my mind once i get a good hornworm/silkworm project going.

Haha. well fortunatly, i odnt have alot of bugs i need to store.. and i only have the hornworm food, so its not worth it. thought might change my mind once i get a good hornworm/silkworm project going.

Well you certainly have a good start! I bet Kermit would love some bb flies too!;)

You can use those worms to make moths, and then harvest the eggs..
but DONT feed them off.

If they have eaten tomato plants, which they primarily do, they are now toxic and could harm or even kill your chammie baby.

So, when you begin to breed, you still need a tomato plant to induce mating and laying, but you keep the plant outside the cage, so they can smell it, but not eat it.

This is weird because when I had a couple left over worms that suddenly went into cocoon with me, I just put them in a little cup until they emerged and when I looked back, they were mating! I had luckily got one male and one female and i never even had a tomato plant anywhere. Do you need the tomato plant??

Thanks for all this great information. Just what I need to get started in breeding them myself:)

This is weird because when I had a couple left over worms that suddenly went into cocoon with me, I just put them in a little cup until they emerged and when I looked back, they were mating! I had luckily got one male and one female and i never even had a tomato plant anywhere. Do you need the tomato plant??

from what i was told yes the tomato plant is needed. but if you didnt have one.. then maybe not. did you put a plant near them at all?

and k9luvn, you are very welcome!

Thanks to all this wonderful information...I am starting my own breeding of hornworms...got two cups shipped a few days ago. Have feed off about a dozen or so to my chams and beardie! They think they are candy, lol. I will raise the others til they are big and fat and then use your information. Wish me luck! :)

i think a few have absorbed their legs. why do they need the tomato plant?

it apparently stimulates them to lay eggs once they have turned into moths.

and sounds like you shoudl get some dirt and put them on top if it, theyll bury themselves.

i have some organic potting soil and some plastic shoe boxes...will that do?

will they lay eggs without the plant?

i have some organic potting soil and some plastic shoe boxes...will that do?

will they lay eggs without the plant?

that will do just fine. yes.

and some have said theirs did it without the plants. so im not sure.

I dont have any hatching from teh cocoon yet, so no clue if the tomato plant or lack of one will work.

I plan to just buy a few seeds, and grow two small plants. since i dont eat tomatos.

sweeeet, I am dying to try this

I am getting back into the hobby. I looked into breeding hornworms because I ordered some and figured id try it. Was thinking about feeding off half and trying to breed the others. So pretty much follow ^ And ill be set?

Back
Top Bottom