horned worms getting tooo big for my cham!?

erik775

Established Member
hay my horned worms are getting really big and i dont know if its safe for my cham to eat them that big...:eek:..my female nosy be is about 10 months and my female veiled is about 8 or 9...or can the eat them as big as they are rite now (the worms)because they are kind of soft ?the biggest ones are about 2 and a half inches long???how long will it take for them to turn into moths?and can my cham eat the moths they turn into ??:confused::confused:..:eek:

Moths are pretty big. They're a ways off from pupating if they are only 2.5 inches.

Just watch them while they eat. If they have any problems, just pull it out of their mouths.

Moths are pretty big. They're a ways off from pupating if they are only 2.5 inches.

Just watch them while they eat. If they have any problems, just pull it out of their mouths.

ok cool...i just fed her one this morning one that was about 2in and it looked like she had a bit of trouble taking it down ...it kind of freaked me out but she got it down...:eek::eek:

Carol, you probably don't have this problem, but keep them from drying out! I killed a lot of them that way :)

Carol, you probably don't have this problem, but keep them from drying out! I killed a lot of them that way :)

ok, thanks Pssh, I just wrote a thread about the 4 I have waiting to hatch. The cocoons are still moving, so they have to be alive right? I know it sounds like a silly question. When do you know they are dead, when they don't move anymore? lol! How long can they stay like that in the dirt?

If they turn black or are crunchy when you squeeze them gently. The live ones are not crunchy. :)

Yup, if they are wiggling they are alive. They usually stay in the pupa stage for a month or so. I have some that are just starting to pupate.

hay my horned worms are getting really big and i dont know if its safe for my cham to eat them that big...:eek:..my female nosy be is about 10 months and my female veiled is about 8 or 9...or can the eat them as big as they are rite now (the worms)because they are kind of soft ?the biggest ones are about 2 and a half inches long???how long will it take for them to turn into moths?and can my cham eat the moths they turn into ??:confused::confused:..:eek:

genral size rule: the chameleon/reptile can eat anything as long as the feeder is not as wide as the animals' head. not full large hornworms but large ones can be suitable.but only one or two imho

pretty much, but I have let it dry out completely and they are still alive!!! I just spray some water on the dirt with my sprayer bottle. I am new to this hornworm hatching thing too!!!

pretty much, but I have let it dry out completely and they are still alive!!! I just spray some water on the dirt with my sprayer bottle. I am new to this hornworm hatching thing too!!!

oh yeah what if they run out of food and arent big enough to to turn into moths what can i feed them???

Back
Top Bottom