Horn Worm Breeding

beardeds7587

i just bought like 20 hornworms some big some very small, can anyone please tell me what to feed them and what to do to keep them breeding, temps and substrate and all of this info thank you all!!!!

i just bought like 20 hornworms some big some very small, can anyone please tell me what to feed them and what to do to keep them breeding, temps and substrate and all of this info thank you all!!!!

Dont they come in a pod with food already??

Myself and another friend nearby bought hornworms in pods, and all of them came out to be females... what's the deal with that? I have 6 female moths and he had 3 female moths.. and that's the end of the story.. Is this intentional??

It's possible, but without proof we can only wonder. I'm not sure how early the gender of a hornworm can be determined. Depending on that, the seller may not be able to intentionally place worms of only one gender in the pods. :p

As far as hornworm care, here is a good site (especially the sections under "Rearing Manducas"): http://www.manducaproject.com/

If you want them to breed they will need a tall enclosure, as the moths are huge and have very long probosces, which they need to stretch out in order to feed. If you have an extra screen cage somewhere, this could be a good use for it. If not, you could try the taller net cage sold here: http://www.chameo.org/journal.html

Some people say that you will need to buy special chow for them while others say that the worms will eat anything, so I'd suggest some trial and error (obviously using only vegetation that is safe for your cham to ingest). I personally wouldn't use substrate, unless you count a plastic tray or perhaps paper towels. The worms poop constantly and it would be a pain to clean substrate so often. A tray could be easily dumped out and rinsed and paper towels could simply be removed and thrown away.

Horn worms do best on the chow from Great Lakes Horn worms.

You want to follow the Manduca link provided earlier to create the pupating/mating/egg laying box, there are lighting issues screen cages don't work well for.

Horn worm sellers don't send out only females/only males, you can't sex the caterpillars. You need to have lots of hatching moths to ensure both male and female are available for mating.

Nick:D

Horn worms do best on the chow from Great Lakes Horn worms.

You want to follow the Manduca link provided earlier to create the pupating/mating/egg laying box, there are lighting issues screen cages don't work well for.

Horn worm sellers don't send out only females/only males, you can't sex the caterpillars. You need to have lots of hatching moths to ensure both male and female are available for mating.

Nick:D

I heard they grow faster on the tan chow. Do they breed better on it??

None of the moths, 4 of them are breeding, and the two others have died. I give him sugar water which they do drink.. and someone pointed out that the skinny antennaes show they are females... I know they are hard to sex.. but it's just so weird.. silkworms are much easier!

I am in S.California, we have at garden some tomato plants for fruit our table, from may to September the tomato plant leaves are food for horn worms.
at summer I have plenty for feeding my chameleons, I recommend you plant some tomatoes and get worms free. most moth species as same as bees the male female rate is 1000 to 1

hey when you use horn worms do you not need the calcium dust anymore a reptile shop owner told me they were rich in calcium so you dont need it is this true

I am in S.California, we have at garden some tomato plants for fruit our table, from may to September the tomato plant leaves are food for horn worms.
at summer I have plenty for feeding my chameleons, I recommend you plant some tomatoes and get worms free. most moth species as same as bees the male female rate is 1000 to 1

The problem with that is that tomato leaves are toxic to chameleons. Some people have been able to use worms fed on tomato leaves without harming their chams, but I know that I would not risk doing the same.

Not a good idea
tomato leaves are great for hornworms, however they are bad for chameleons (and people).

Question,....What if you pick the hornworms from the tomato plant,...then feed and house them for a week on other food, would they still possibly be toxic?

Just curious, so is it proven that a tomato plant fed hornworm is bad or is it just assumed, is there actual research showing that there is no counteractant in the worm that neutralizes the chemical. this could be a myth that people assume. Because if the worm eats the plant he is chemically breaking it down in digestion, so the toxin should no longer exist. If someone has proof it would be nice to show how and why. There is an old Engineer saying, "Im God we Trust, for all others bring Data."

Back
Top Bottom