Horizontals

KeopiCat

Avid Member
Hello there,

I hope you and your chams are all well!
Recently I've been trying to fill up the empty space in Mondo's cage. One of his plants is dying and I need to fill the gaps where leaves used to be until I can order a ficus that will fit in his Reptibreeze. I've been buying things here and there at reptile shows, and he loves it, but the artificial vines I'm buying are so expensive. Bottom line, what do you recommend I use for horizontals in his cage that won't break the bank (preferably ones that will last him a long time)?

Thanks in advance,
- Keopi and Mondo

I bought artificial vines from Amazon, Ebay and craft stores for reasonable prices and used them to fill in the space until my plants grew

Ever since I got my lighting from "light your reptiles, Todd Goode" a member and slonsor on our forums, my plants have been thriving! It was sure worth it! Give him a jingle! Also, I suggest the Pothos plant for those spots! Tough plant!!!

Ever since I got my lighting from "light your reptiles, Todd Goode" a member and slonsor on our forums, my plants have been thriving! It was sure worth it! Give him a jingle! Also, I suggest the Pothos plant for those spots! Tough plant!!!

Do you think it would even work on my dying hibiscus?

My hibiscus is flourishing!
20161102_122731.jpg
20160729_093021.jpg
Seems to work just fine! What do you think? Lol. What a joy to walk in to the room and see sll the flowers!

My hibiscus is flourishing! Seems to work just fine! What do you think? Lol. What a joy to walk in to the room and see sll the flowers!

Oh, they're gorgeous! I'd especially love to have the flowers blooming again since Mondo and I share a bedroom :p
Are the hoods on the lights fairly large because my ceiling has low clearance?

There is draining medium on the bottom of the pot, so I think it would manage. I don't think I'm overwatering it at all. Thanks for the tips

I have those lights too and they are low profile. Go for a quad fixture if you can and get a plant pro bulb. I also have jungle dawn led bulbs which are great for plants that need a lot of sun

Would you recommend the 6% or the 12% bulbs? (Don't know what any of that means)

Hello there,

I hope you and your chams are all well!
Recently I've been trying to fill up the empty space in Mondo's cage. One of his plants is dying and I need to fill the gaps where leaves used to be until I can order a ficus that will fit in his Reptibreeze. I've been buying things here and there at reptile shows, and he loves it, but the artificial vines I'm buying are so expensive. Bottom line, what do you recommend I use for horizontals in his cage that won't break the bank (preferably ones that will last him a long time)?

Thanks in advance,
- Keopi and Mondo
Nothing beats branches from outside. They look the most natural, and they're....free!

If you get a quad fixture get a 12% it works about the same as a 6% maybe a little bit better in a quad fixture while a 6% would less than what is needed. If you need fake vines that aren't for walking go to a craftstore, they have chain plastic and chain silk plants that are huge but ridiculously inexpensive compared to reptile ones. You can also cut them if you need smaller vines for more places. As for the bendable exoterra vines, if you didn't know, those need to be replaced completely at least every year you might be able to go a year and a half if you bleach them and wash them really well, and then sun bake them. The problem with them is they are extremely hard to clean properly as they are very porous and absorb bacteria like crazy. Also if you have only those as your branches, you need to add some safe woods and dowels most likely of varying sizes, most of them should be small enough that your chameleons foot can comfortably wrap around the entire thing. It will help avoid bumble foot and other bacterial skin issues related to improper perches.

Also, how would these lights affect my chameleon? These would be an addition and not a replacement for my PowerSun bulb, correct?

If you get a quad from Todd at light your reptiles, no they would not be an addition to your Power Sun, they would be a replacement. And @Andee, not that you are wrong but I just had a very long email discussion with Todd about the 6% vs 12% in a quad. and here is some of what he had to say...............

If it is only moderately planted, honestly just grab the 6% and then if in a year when it turns out the plants have grown into a dense jungle, then consider doing a 12%.
Plus,
Allot of it boils down to distance too...
If the top perches, (where they sit about 80% of the time) are 8-12" inches down under the lights -- then the 6% bulb is perfect.

People do not realize this but the Arcadia 6% HO t5 's are just as strong (if not a tad stronger) than the Zoo Med 10.0t8s!

I used to promote the 12% more because I was concerned that heavily planted cages were not getting enough UV down to the animals...
And then what I was finding is that what people were considering heavily planted were allot of plants stuck in pots DOWN BOTTOMwhere the animals do not hang out --
and these folks should have been be sticking more to 6%.

So....
I learned what folks interpreted as "heavily planted" varied quite a bit. ;-)
I am not back-peddling that the 12% is great for some set ups,
I am just refining that it is good for set ups that have allot of plants and shade WAY up top.

And yes, the quad knocks UV down some as I explained-
it can get knocked down a bit less if the bulb is in an outside position and is not sandwiched between two other bulbs.

Here's what I am thinking for you....

Let's put a 6% in the outside position.
Then you can sort of center the fixture on your cage and offer a few basking perches down 7" - 10" under the Arcadia bulb.
(And maybe have a few perches at 12" - 14" for variety.. the more choices the better!)

Then--
If your plants grow in well and there is a Jungle up top in a year or so --
Then we can pop in the 12% and sandwich it between two bulbs.... so the UV increases gradually.

That way we are being safe (and not sorry)
and I guarantee he/she will be getting ample UV.

.........................So, I ended up with the 6% for now and if, when it's time to replace, my enclosure has filled in better, I will get the 12%.

Nice Peachypink, I recently read the thread that Todd did, but your explanation helped me understand it further. <3

Nice Peachypink, I recently read the thread that Todd did, but your explanation helped me understand it further. <3

Yea, I emailed Todd and referenced what he said in that thread and this was the explaination he sent me. When in doubt, just ask him!

Back
Top Bottom