Hope and a weird Tongue thing

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I checked out the search thing, but I am honestly not sure how much help it will be with Hope. For those of you who don't know and will try to help, Hope was my jackson rescue who has/had severe MBD when I got her. She is better he grip is stronger, actually hurts my hand now. She hunts down food (though most of it is still cup fed). Her legs have straightened out. She shows huge amounts of energy and strength. She has been with me around a year and a half.

Well the last two feedings or so, she has been doing a tongue poking out thing. She doesn't seem to realize it's happening and if I open the cage door it will fix itself. It's only like the very tip of her tongue poking out. I have checked for mouth injuries (which showed me something I never knew about it on her because I have never had to worry about her mouth before), she has a very old wound which I am not sure what it's from, it is scar tissue that is a little bit recessed, but on the side she has it (which on her right lower jaw in the middle) there are no "teeth". Everywhere else in her mouth it looks normal. There is a little bit of a yellow tinge and I was worried about mouth rot but when I ran my thumb over it, it definitely felt normal. (she is way too accepting of health checks sometimes). He tongue looks fine and the beginning of her throat is normal. No inflammation.

As far as possible deficiency we know she probably will always have a low amount of calcium deficiency. At the moment I am giving her liquid calicium three times a week, and am dusting about 1/2-3/4 of her feeders once a week with Repashy Calcium plus.

I may need to replace her uvb... I can't honestly remember when it was, it wasn't this year for sure, I want to say it's been at least 5 months, possibly six. So I may need to look into doing that. But she's getting daily sun (no longer than 30 minutes, no shorter than 20 minutes) she gets uvb all that day still except a couple hours directly after the sun because I know her cage is planted enough I don't have to worry tons and the uvb output isn't high enough to cause issues likely anymore.

Anyone have any ideas if it's something to worry about? Or what it could be?

If you correct the calcium balance and have your husbandry right then she shouldn't have MBD anymore.
As for the tongue...pictures please.

Front jaw is definitely not recessed neither top or bottom. I am not sure if she doesn't have MBD completely or not. She has gotten tons better but she was under the stores care for a year and she never received supplements, healthy feeders, or correct uvb during the time. So I am hoping her MBD is gone, it'd be nice. But she still shows every now and then exhaustion in the way that she rests her feet (like she holds her front feet completely open when sitting on a branch).

I will get a picture as soon as possible. Will feed tomorrow again to see if I can catch her doing it. Do you guys think I should buy a new UVB?

Jackson's don't need a ton of UVB like panthers or veils. Montane species requirements are generally substantially lower. With the exception of t. hoehnelii.

That's what I figured. Ok then I won't worry about that with her. Now it's just about catching her doing that and possibly think about changing supplementation *frowns* Alright I will put a picture up as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom