Honey Bees??

ebotd

I have a massive honey bee hive in my backyard that we collect honey and bees wax from and was wondering if you desting a honey bee would they make a good feeder?

anyone know? :confused::confused:

I don't know but don't they have stingers? I guess I'd be concerned that the chameleon may get stung on the tongue or somewhere around the mouth and/or face by the bee and end up with some kind of infection. Worse still, if it were allergic to the bee sting.

I just don't know for sure but, personally, I wouldn't risk it. I'd stick with known, proven feeders just to be safe. If someone else says honey bees are known and proven feeders for chameleons then I guess that would be a new one to me.

Drones don't have stingers...but I can't tell you for sure they are safe since I've never used them myself for chameleons.

Drones don't have stingers...but I can't tell you for sure they are safe since I've never used them myself for chameleons.

Honeybee populations are crashing all over. I'd leave them alone. There are safer and easier feeders to use for chams. Besides, I would not want to try removing the stingers from bees. It is traumatic for the bee and kills them I think.

Honeybee populations are crashing all over. I'd leave them alone. There are safer and easier feeders to use for chams. Besides, I would not want to try removing the stingers from bees. It is traumatic for the bee and kills them I think.

I have thousands of bees. we've been keeping them for a few years now. when the hive gets too big they split so I don't think a few here and there would matter.

It is traumatic for the bee and kills them I think.
isnt feeding them off just as traumatic and kills them?

bee pollen is in a lot of dry gutloads and is highly nutritional that’s what sparked the question.

Drones are produced from laying worker females producing infertile eggs. The drones main function is to be ready to fertilize a receptive queen. Since drones die after they mate since their "parts" are ripped from them during the mating they will be lost to the hive anyhow.

If a hive keeper could get some working females to lay infertile eggs I don't think it would be a problem to feed off the drones produced. I'm no bee expert but I think the female workers will lay eggs if there is no queen...so if a few were separated from a hive so there was no queen I would think they would lay eggs. Is this right, ebotd?

Drones are produced from laying worker females producing infertile eggs. The drones main function is to be ready to fertilize a receptive queen. Since drones die after they mate since their "parts" are ripped from them during the mating they will be lost to the hive anyhow.

If a hive keeper could get some working females to lay infertile eggs I don't think it would be a problem to feed off the drones produced. I'm no bee expert but I think the female workers will lay eggs if there is no queen...so if a few were separated from a hive so there was no queen I would think they would lay eggs. Is this right, ebotd?

I don't know... we just have a bee box and let them do their thing in the backyard. when the hive gets really big they split and then we gather wax and honey. The half that stays rebuild and does it all over again.

I have thousands of bees. we've been keeping them for a few years now. when the hive gets too big they split so I don't think a few here and there would matter.

isnt feeding them off just as traumatic and kills them?

bee pollen is in a lot of dry gutloads and is highly nutritional that’s what sparked the question.

Sure, feeding = death. All I meant was that removing the stinger is an added trauma. Is it worth it? I doubt feeding bees will give a cham the benefits of bee pollen. After all, the flowering plant produces the pollen not the bee.

Ive read that honeybees are a very beneficial feeder. I dont know if I'd want to mess with having to remove stingers though. Im allergic to bees and wasps so thats a no-go for me.

I have a massive honey bee hive in my backyard that we collect honey and bees wax from and was wondering if you desting a honey bee would they make a good feeder?

anyone know? :confused::confused:

I don't dust them, but I do remove their stingers. After catching them with a net and put them in the fridge for a few minutes, take them out with the wings down and using a sharp knife cut out the stinger and give them to my chams. I try to select the ones with the most polen in their hind legs! ;)

Back
Top Bottom