Homers New Habitat (pic heavy)

jojackson

Have just moved Homer into his new Habitat, Its much bigger than his last one, Zippers are a nuisance, but otherwise its good so far. He seems to like it!

Its a 260 gal flexarium from Exoterra.

2j1k8s3.jpg

2dkk6xc.jpg

50mhcl.jpg

e5nt3k.jpg

fdvv5z.jpg

1215v1z.jpg

28vat15.jpg

2m2jk9t.jpg

WOW how tall is his new cage? that looks really good man props, the only thing i would check is make sure the sticks are not pointed sharp on the tree other than that its really cool. your chameleon is a stud also :D

Thanks J, Id say the cage is very close to 6 foot, Im about 5'6 and theres room above my head.
The whole shebang is also on a table about 2 ft from the floor. so hes at about 8ft at the highest point, seems to like it!
No sharp bits on the tree, Tree was previously a python hangout! Before that its base held our xmas Tree!

I would still try to get more foliage and coverage.

more places he can hide. the more comfertable he will be

Sang, I did consider that, I had his previous enclosure planted densly with lots of vines/branches too, wasnt much 'elbow room'. He sleeps in the open, hes really not a 'hider', it dosent seem to bother him much, however Im planing on a few more hanging pothos soon, somewhere around the middle.

The cage itself isnt really that strong, so no more can be hung from the ceiling, but maybe on the tree. :)

I think the large tree makes a great center piece. I usually don't see habitats with trees of such circumference... gives me great ideas. Have you ever tried the Flukers bendy vines? They look like dark colored branches. Thanks for sharing! :)

looks cool but I'd also recommend more foliage. If he doesn't like it, you can always take it out. What's the big base?

Thanks,
I've seen similar fake vines in some stores here, dark in color, way too short to be useful and quite rough on the surface and also a bit inflexable. Probly ok for geckos, but they wernt worth it for Homers enclosure.
I did have some natural vine before I found this stuff, But I prefer this because natural vine without bark is to slippery and bark affords bacteria a place to breed. (will be steam cleaning the Tree under pressure.) This stuff is really quite ideal and ( I think anyway) visibly pleasing too. :)

The tree is certainly a bit different :) He seems to like climbing it, It was outside before and near his outdoor basking plant. Recently he left his plant and started climbing the tree, So I thought Id incorporate it into the design.
Its great in the enclosure but a little to 'exposed' outside. A green cham stands out like a sore thumb on it LOL.

looks cool but I'd also recommend more foliage. If he doesn't like it, you can always take it out. What's the big base?

The tree base is designed to hold xmas trees. The black base under the whole thing, was a freeby (like the cage), not sure what it was for, but it was perfect. Saw it in my freinds yard (same freind that put me onto the vine) and he said 'Its yours'.
Next cleaning day Ill get a pic of the black base alone. It has 'Routed' channels moulded into its bottom, that slope to a central drainage hole, so no sitting water. I have a cat litter tray beneath that I empty once a day. Fits the cage like a glove too! :)

Last edited:
Wow 8ft off the ground, he must love that lol. I didnt even know exo terra made a cage 6 feet tall, if i would have known that i would have gone with them instead of the repti breeze :cool:

Very cool!! I want to make something like that for my Cham. Lucky for you that your Cham doesnt hide..........Ester comes down off his branches to get food and thats it. I have to lure him onto a stick with food to take him outside on his plants on my patio! :p

There is another forum member on here that has one like that he called it the phone booth:D. I cant seem to find one anywhere.....:rolleyes:

Probably more room than a phone booth! :)

I use the hanging feeder cup for mealworms, stuff like that, otherwise he hunts naturally,
I let crickets and grasshoppers and moths go free in the cage.
Top left hand corner in the dripper pic is a suspended food cup for insects.

Last edited:
Update: Do far so good, no problems, hes finding food and water easily, temps seem to be just right. Making some more hanging pothos soon.
Will get more pics when I add the extra plants! :)

Thanks Stefan (think I finally remembered your real name) :)
looks better now Ive hung the plants up n down that tree.

Back
Top Bottom