Homemade silkworm chow

BenjiTheCham

Established Member
Does anyone make their own silkworm chow out of their own mulberry leaves? I was wondering so I can keep silkworms in the winter without buying mulberry

Here is what I do and I have fresh mulberry leaves year round. If you blanch you can freeze them for up to 6 months and when thawed stay green as the day they were picked. If you don't blanch, the leaves, when they thaw out they turn brown. I put each leaf in boiling water for about 30 seconds put on a paper towel and let dry and then into freezer bags and date. I always have fresh mulberry leaves for my silks

Here is what I do and I have fresh mulberry leaves year round. If you blanch you can freeze them for up to 6 months and when thawed stay green as the day they were picked. If you don't blanch, the leaves, when they thaw out they turn brown. I put each leaf in boiling water for about 30 seconds put on a paper towel and let dry and then into freezer bags and date. I always have fresh mulberry leaves for my silks

How much do you go through? I tried fresh leaves by my little mulberry cant keep up

Does anyone make their own silkworm chow out of their own mulberry leaves? I was wondering so I can keep silkworms in the winter without buying mulberry
A point that cannot be overstated is that you should be incredibly careful where you harvest your leaves from. From personal experience:
  • Harvesting near crop fields is a disaster waiting to happen.
  • Harvesting near ponds or other areas where they tend to spray for mosquitoes/pests is also a disaster waiting to happen.
  • ALWAYS feed a test batch every time you harvest. By the time you find out your leaves have pesticides on them, it'll be too late. Don't assume that it's a "clean" tree because you didn't have issues last time.
  • Rinsing the leaves can help, but may not always work.
Diligence is key. The powdered chow is always a safe bet and can be found pretty cheap.

A point that cannot be overstated is that you should be incredibly careful where you harvest your leaves from. From personal experience:
  • Harvesting near crop fields is a disaster waiting to happen.
  • Harvesting near ponds or other areas where they tend to spray for mosquitoes/pests is also a disaster waiting to happen.
  • ALWAYS feed a test batch every time you harvest. By the time you find out your leaves have pesticides on them, it'll be too late. Don't assume that it's a "clean" tree because you didn't have issues last time.
  • Rinsing the leaves can help, but may not always work.
Diligence is key. The powdered chow is always a safe bet and can be found pretty cheap.
Can’t I wash the leaves the get the pesticides off? Or is it not that easy

Back
Top Bottom