homemade bug repellent

Chameleon Bazaar

hey guys,

i need some help making bug repellent. as it gets hotter i've been noticing more spiders inside and i want to make sure they dont go near my chams cages. anyone know of a good recipe?? thanks for the help in advance!

my chameleon LOVES eating spiders and here in canada there arnt really any that pose him a threat. so i give them baths then gutload them with crickets that are gutloaded and then feed em off xD

they may not pose a threat to us, but do you identify the species before feeding goonie? you cant just feed off anything

my chameleon LOVES eating spiders and here in canada there arnt really any that pose him a threat. so i give them baths then gutload them with crickets that are gutloaded and then feed em off xD

There are many spiders in Ontario that are venomous, most not enough to harm humans, but many have small amounts of venom, I live in mississauga, 30 minutes away from Toronto and I've found several of them.

Even if you find a spider and KNOW it's not venomous, you don't know if that spider has come in contact with any toxins, or if it has eaten a bug that has come in contact with toxins.

Check out this brief article: http://www.ehow.com/list_6156285_poisonous-spiders-ontario.html

There's also a type of "fake" Widow thats been popping up a lot, I've been finding them at my work place in our cricket bins, and we have direct orders to send them to Guelph University if we find them, apparently they're venomous enough to knock out a cat.

TL: DR (too long didn't read) : Try not to feed anything wild, better safe then sorry :)

i live in cali so feeding is not an option, we have spiders that are deadly to chams. i just want to do everything i can to prevent anything happening.

Sorry my last post was just in regards to feeding spiders : P

I remember hearing about a product similar to the one in this link http://www.amazon.com/Weitech-0180-B-1000-Sq-Plug-Repeller/dp/B00004RAML

I'm not sure how effective they are since I've never used one, but if your looking to keep spiders away from your cham room you could always plug one in there, as long as you don't keep your feeder insects in the same room. Just read up on reviews, or maybe a member on here has used something similar and can chime in.

Just because a spider has venom does not mean it cannot be eaten by a cham or a human for that matter. They are not poisonous. I live in socal and have seen a number of spiders in my house and they have been eaten by chameleons. They are of very little danger to a chameleon. If you keep your cages clean there is a good chance a chameleon wouldn't even encounter one unless it was intentional by you.

Most spiders are venomous and can be eaten by a cham without a problem. The venom needs a way into the bloodstream to be harmful. Even then a chameleon may not be affected like a human would be. Keeping your cages free of roaming feeders will keep the spiders out. As for the ones in the room they are taking care of a problem. Escaped feeders = Spiders. Those spiders are doing their job. What better form of pest control is there?

i live in cali so feeding is not an option, we have spiders that are deadly to chams. i just want to do everything i can to prevent anything happening.

It is fine to feed spiders from cali . You may not want to risk a Black Widow or recluse but California has nothing to do with it.

Nope, just trying to get it back on track. The OP had no interest in feeding spiders to the chameleon.

If you noticed I offered a solution on track with the thread. Keep the cages clean and free of feeders that are not eaten. That will give the result the OP is looking for. You may have missed it.

The thread was never really off track.

Last edited:
I just saw a video of a Parson chameleon eating a giant spider just yesterday. While it may had been staged for the video shoot. The chameleon definitely ate the spider.

I just saw a video of a Parson chameleon eating a giant spider just yesterday. While it may had been staged for the video shoot. The chameleon definitely ate the spider.

WOW , if the spider looked giant to a parsons that must have been a monster. That I would not like hanging around my reptile room. :eek:

My homemade bug repellent is a shopvac. I hose them up, web and all. My most common spider found is the Cobweb Spider, which has resemblance to Daddy long-legs.

Back
Top Bottom