Holding mouth open??

MichelleNFrankie

My veiled chameleon is holding his mouth open and I'm not sure why. I haven't noticed anything different but this, everything else seems to be normal. His basking spot is around 84-85 and he was in that area both times his mouth was open. Is he too hot? Should I just leave the heat bulb off? The room he is in is like 80 it's a sun room, I closed it off with thick curtains because my house stays around 67-70 degrees, should I take the curtains down and let cool air in here? There's no vents in here but it is really cool in here when the curtains are down. I'm not sure what to do, before I had them down but it felt too cool in here and he was staying in the basking area. I tried taking a pic but he closed his mouth as soon as I got close. I have the curtain opened now and he seems to be fine now. I worry about him all the time he's my first, if anyone could give me some advice I would appreciate it :)

It sounds like he is too hot and trying to thermoregulate. Either get a lower watt bulb, raise the bulb, or keep the curtains closed and ensure that the basking temp stays within range. How are you measuring temps? I keep my place at 70 at all times and let the basking area get up to 90-95 for my adults.

It sounds like he is too hot and trying to thermoregulate. Either get a lower watt bulb, raise the bulb, or keep the curtains closed and ensure that the basking temp stays within range. How are you measuring temps? I keep my place at 70 at all times and let the basking area get up to 90-95 for my adults.

I have a couple digital thermostat's. Yea I think he was too hot, he's fine now. I think I'll try taking the curtains down for a couple days and watch him carefully. I'll raise a degree or 2 on my air conditioner if I need to and just leave the basking bulb. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom