Holding Chameleons

WhereIsWaldo

Is there any places anybody has ever been to where you can hold a chameleon? Almost like playing with a puppy before you buy it...

Try Petco or Petsmart... They usually don't know anything and let you man-handle their sickly chams. Other than that, no. Chams can be handled, but new chams are really skittish and get stressed when they are handled by new people. They are not like puppies, they are more like tarantulas...handle with caution. (For their health, not yours)

Yes, that's what I figured. Mostly I'm just curious as to how they feel, and am less interested in actually grabbing up on them and such. I 113% agree about Petsmart and Petco... we've found them to be highly unintelligent when it comes to reptiles.

They feel...cold...leathery...bumpy. I think that if you ask a local petstore that houses them, they should let you pet them or even hold one. They are really interesting animals, get into the hobby, you will not regret it. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing you on the forum. Check out the resources section for good info.

Any breeder or petstore will let you hold your chameleon before you buy it. It's a normal part of choosing a new pet and I have never met even a private cham breeder who wouldn't let you take them out and inspect them before purchase.

sorry but the risk at been mock out, someone have to tell this person that chamelons are not pupies and they should be play with, toys are for play with no chamelons

I have let many people hold my chameleons, I will say its a good idea to wash yours hands or use hand sanitizer. More for the chameleons health than yours;)

They just meant if you were allowed to bring out a chameleon before buying, the same way you would bring out a puppy or a camera to check out before purchase. I really don't think they really expected to play fetch in a little room with the chameleon before buying.

They just meant if you were allowed to bring out a chameleon before buying, the same way you would bring out a puppy or a camera to check out before purchase. I really don't think they really expected to play fetch in a little room with the chameleon before buying.

I apologize then

Pfffffft, apology accepted, no worries! Yes, I was using it as more of an analogy than a comparison. Just want to make sure that if I were to buy one I would have a quick or brief firsthand experience with them initially! Thanks for the replies, all.

Get the one that wants to bite you every chance it gets, its the healthy one! Dont get the one that "likes" to sit in your hand, odds are its stressed and couldnt run off/bite if it wanted to.

Thats how i got my first pet shop panther.

"Can i inspect the cham?"
"sure"
-cham tries to bite the shop owner every chance it gets and runs for the bushes

"ill take him if you can get him in a box" :)

Back
Top Bottom