Hoehnelli care

Chance289

Is hoehnelli care the same for other montane species specifically Jackson’s chameleon? I’m trying to do research on hoehnelli and there’s much more resources out there for Jackson’s care and not a whole lot compared to hoehnelli care specifically.

Is hoehnelli care the same for other montane species specifically Jackson’s chameleon? I’m trying to do research on hoehnelli and there’s much more resources out there for Jackson’s care and not a whole lot compared to hoehnelli care specifically.
In my opinion they are similar, but hoehnelii are from higher elevations than the Jackson’s, especially xantholophus.
To me this means lower basking and ambient temps, and lower nighttime drops for optimum care

In my opinion they are similar, but hoehnelii are from higher elevations than the Jackson’s, especially xantholophus.
To me this means lower basking and ambient temps, and lower nighttime drops for optimum care
Thank you. I live in Florida with my ax set to 72. So this said, what’s the best way to get a nightime drop for the reptile? I think that is going to be my biggest challenge when taking care of one of this species

To be honest for much of Florida your out door temps from late fall to early spring are probably about perfect.
It’s difficult to achieve the temp drops in the enclosure unless the ambient temps in the room are fairly close to your goal temps. The most effective methods are opening windows when the temp outside is low enough or some type of AC unit to cool the room down below your house temp at night.

To be honest for much of Florida your out door temps from late fall to early spring are probably about perfect.
It’s difficult to achieve the temp drops in the enclosure unless the ambient temps in the room are fairly close to your goal temps. The most effective methods are opening windows when the temp outside is low enough or some type of AC unit to cool the room down below your house temp at night.
Yeah you’re not wrong. I’m gonna do some research on outdoor keeping

If you want to learn more about hoehnelii in their natural habitat, get a copy of Mountain Dragons by Jan Stipala.
It is an incredible reference to natural habitat of Kenyan chameleons.
D89B6CB9-4865-4B09-B424-9CD78EF9A006.jpeg

Pretty much restating the information that was said above but I just got a baby hoehnelii and did TON of research and asked a ton of questions and from what I gathered they do have similar care but the nighttime temp drop is really important in their longevity and long-term health. If you struggle to get the temps to drop, I’d suggest looking into a repticooler paired with keeping it in a cool part of your house. Feel free to ask me any questions, I’d be glad to help you out and impart some of the information I leaned, if you need it :)

The best thing I've found is night time Temps in the low 60s/ 50s if your getting a farmed one. And they seem to do better with a high UVI index. However, misting and humidity is very similar to jacksoni

If you want to learn more about hoehnelii in their natural habitat, get a copy of Mountain Dragons by Jan Stipala.
It is an incredible reference to natural habitat of Kenyan chameleons.View attachment 318669
I saw this post and got really curious. Figured I’d get it for myself…look it up and…it’s $110. Maybe another day lol 😳

Pretty much restating the information that was said above but I just got a baby hoehnelii and did TON of research and asked a ton of questions and from what I gathered they do have similar care but the nighttime temp drop is really important in their longevity and long-term health. If you struggle to get the temps to drop, I’d suggest looking into a repticooler paired with keeping it in a cool part of your house. Feel free to ask me any questions, I’d be glad to help you out and impart some of the information I leaned, if you need it :)
Thank you Mike!

Back
Top Bottom