Hoehnelli breeding question?

johnnyev

I have a coming up to a year old male Trioceros hoehneli. He was the runt of the litter & actually the last born of eleven. He was at least half the size of the others at birth & when i saw him at approx five months old. Looked tiny compared to the other remaining animals the breeder had left that were awaiting collection.
Anyway as he was the last one left for sale (for the above reason i'd say) & i got him a bit cheaper i bought him. He feeds ok & has doubled in size (though still small for his age) since i have had him. My question is if i decided to get him a mate. Due to being a runt, would his offspring also be weaker/smaller than they would normally?

When selecting a bull for breeding, sometimes that prize sperm sells for tens of thousands of dollars. The reason for that is the offspring will reflect that Bull.

I share that since understanding the value of selective breeding has been around for centuries with us humans. To answer your question, there is a fair chance that yes you might see more in a litter that are smaller like he was. You won't know until you try but there it is.

Back
Top Bottom