Hoehnelii vitamin issue

Uri

Avid Member
So I’m 90% sure it is a vitamin deficiency I couldn’t get bloodwork on him because of his size(one of the curses of small chameleons) his small indications point mostly in vitamin deficiency he hasn’t eaten but his nose doesn’t point up, he doesn’t have any weird patches on his skin he did poop but his poop looks normal and not worm infested and his colors for the most part are normal how do I actually get this guy to eat I have since separated a couple of feeder insects and gutloaded them away from the main bin of feeders to make sure they are well fed before feeding them off but how do I get him to take the feeders dusted with reptivite? Do I just need to get a drop of fish oil or something to get him back on track or will his appetite come back?

I always recommend flying insects for picky eaters. I haven’t had a Cham not go crazy over anything that flies

House flies, bottle flies, black soldier flies, moths, flying roaches….
He refuses those he looks at them but doesn’t make an attempt I’m going to wait a week on Friday before I go into panic mode but for now I’m not super worried should I just wait for his hunger to kick in? Right now I’m offering mostly roaches and worms that stay in a bird feeder cup to know if he eats and I throw in 2-3 soldier flies dusted but so far I’ve found them still bouncing on the top of the screen

He refuses those he looks at them but doesn’t make an attempt I’m going to wait a week on Friday before I go into panic mode but for now I’m not super worried should I just wait for his hunger to kick in? Right now I’m offering mostly roaches and worms that stay in a bird feeder cup to know if he eats and I throw in 2-3 soldier flies dusted but so far I’ve found them still bouncing on the top of the screen
Wow. That’s surprising. Maybe wait it out for a bit and let him get hungry

I will add he still drinks his morning dew I thought since I saw his tongue(camera) he was gonna shoot at a fly but no he was just drinking morning dew

I’ve had hunger strikes before and usually after giving in they just start eating again on their own whether snake chameleon, or gecko

Oh I wanted to also add is it possible that the stress from the vet visit is also playing a part in him not eating right now considering she had to force him to open his mouth to check inside which got him real hissy and bitey

Maybe if you can take him outside and let him drink some natural rain water it might add some minerals. Just a thought. Thats if the climate is right in your area. It might also get his reflexes going bit seeing wild bugs flying around. Just another thought

Maybe if you can take him outside and let him drink some natural rain water it might add some minerals. Just a thought. Thats if the climate is right in your area. It might also get his reflexes going bit seeing wild bugs flying around. Just another thought
This is something I want to try unfortunately I don’t have natural shade so my window is very short before having to return him back indoors

I always recommend flying insects for picky eaters. I haven’t had a Cham not go crazy over anything that flies

House flies, bottle flies, black soldier flies, moths, flying roaches….
I noticed my hoehnelii and jacksons never liked to eat bottle flies they always spat em out.

Back
Top Bottom