Hoehnelii light burn?

Livingstons Lizards

Established Member
Hello,
I came home from work today to find one of my male hoehnelii almost black, eyes closed and not moving. His casque looks sunken incompared to my others and him previously. It also looks like he has a burn on his head. I use the Zilla 25watt mini halogen and have been for several months. Interested if anyone has any ideas or similar experiences with these fixtures. I've been monitoring his weight and while it has dropped a few tenths of a gram, nothing dramatic. I have my care for him posted below. The basking has been in the upper 80s recently as it has been warmer here in NJ. Last summer i used a 25watt and 50watt Exo Terra Tropical Basking Light. Hoehnelii Care

Attachments

• 20210323_192920.jpg
    20210323_192920.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 20210323_192351.jpg
    20210323_192351.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210323_192406.jpg
    20210323_192406.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 99
I did. Took him to an exotic animal vet in Allentown immediately. They didn't find any burn and was also the conclusion from Bob Cochran. They gave with some anti biotics nut unfortunately passed over night. I got him in Aug last year so I had him for about 8 months. Im guessing old age.

I did. Took him to an exotic animal vet in Allentown immediately. They didn't find any burn and was also the conclusion from Bob Cochran. They gave with some anti biotics nut unfortunately passed over night. I got him in Aug last year so I had him for about 8 months. Im guessing old age.
What is their average lifespan?

4 to 6 years, he came in as an adult import and looked to be an older male by other people I shared him with. So his exact age is unknown.

I’m sorry to hear of your loss. They are one of my favourite species. From what I have seen, they are pretty hard to give a burn to, I have 8 babies that spend their days on the ceiling of the cage an inch away from an Arcadia 6% UVB with absolutely no adverse effects. My solar meter reads around 45 on the Ferguson scale that close to it.
As for heat, my adults have a standard zoo med 60w bulb set away from their basking area, this gives me around 78f - 82f and they are directly below their uvb and seem to be doing well.

amazing job getting him to the vet so fast, I wish more reptile owners were like that. I suspect his dark colours were his “passing colours” this seems to be fairly similar in Senegal’s and panthers ime. Good luck with the babies, they are a lot of fun! I have had good luck with fruit fly cultures and pin head crickets :)

Back
Top Bottom