Hissing while handling

PistachioG

I’m curious why my veiled will sometimes hiss at me while readily walking onto my hand, without changing color and otherwise seemingly content? I never take her out of her enclosure, I just let her crawl out onto my hand/arm when she “wants.” There was one time she crawled out seemed fine and then hissed at my other hand as if she didn’t know it was attached to me. Is this all normal? Should I just not let her crawl out if she’s going to be cranky?

Its normal. Hissing/huffing is the least they can do. She is just letting the world know she is here, and this is the limit before she is fully annoyed. If she was scared or nervous, she wouldnt be hissing, she would be puffing and going high contrast.

yep normal... Beman does this often... It is like he is making sure I know that he is in charge. Once out of the cage he calms down but while crawling out onto me he makes it very clear that I am not the boss.

yep normal... Beman does this often... It is like he is making sure I know that he is in charge. Once out of the cage he calms down but while crawling out onto me he makes it very clear that I am not the boss.
That’s so funny! He sounds like a real character!

Its normal. Hissing/huffing is the least they can do. She is just letting the world know she is here, and this is the limit before she is fully annoyed. If she was scared or nervous, she wouldnt be hissing, she would be puffing and going high contrast.
This helps, thank you. She only puffs when inside her enclosure and someone walks by that’s not me(she’s in my room). She only seems to flash when excited like when she’s about to eat.

That is one way to put it. lol Veileds are like dealing with split personalities.
This is exactly what it feels like, also her expressing she’s in charge makes sense. She hasn’t tried to bite me and generally doesn’t seem aggressive. She has licked me a few times but I believe that is normal.

Back
Top Bottom