Hissing since Sheding

Missis

Hey I have a 6 month old Chameleon, ever since she shed her skin 2 weeks ago she hisses and tries to bite me whenever I try to get her out to clean her tank.
Any idea what suddenly made her behave like this?

I dont know what species she is, but it sounds like typical "teenage" behavior. Hormones and maturity and all the good stuff.

What do you mean tank?

be cautious of what "pet stores" say is a "proper" set up..cause they will tell you anything to make a sale..if its a glass "tank" like what you can fill with water and put fish in..its not for a chameleon..bottom line..

No its not a fish tank, it has 2 doors on the front that both open and like mesh on the top. It's EXO-TERRA

That's what they meant... That's a no-no for almost any chameleon... The plastic casts a reflection which can SEVERELY stress a Cham out.. Which may be part of the explanation for the hissing and overall moodiness.. I suggest a mesh cage of about 18"x18"x36" at LEAST... Nothing plexiglass, plastic or other will do

That's what they meant... That's a no-no for almost any chameleon... The plastic casts a reflection which can SEVERELY stress a Cham out.. Which may be part of the explanation for the hissing and overall moodiness.. I suggest a mesh cage of about 18"x18"x36" at LEAST... Nothing plexiglass, plastic or other will do

Nothing wrong with plexi glass depending on situation, If used properly. If done right it can help keep in humidity. If you are not completely informing people, then you might not want to say anything at all.

"Glass" or "Plastic" cages can be used... and you shouldnt automaticaly tell someone that they cannot use cages like that at all... Which really isnt true...

My new panther enjoys being in a larger plastic "Critter Carrier" over his bigger screen cage we got him initially.

Should he stay in that cage forever? Probably not... and I'm not saying that your wrong, im just saying that theres another side to the story.. its not just a "No you cant use glass no matter what" type of subject..

Glass is conpletely acceptable if it is used properly. However, an exo terra is probably way to small for your female now that she is 6 months (unless you have the biggest one they make.)

Then forgive my misinformation... The breeders I have talked to and owners in my area are where I get most of my info and I had been explicitly warned against it.. On another note though these forums are about discussion so telling someone that they should give no opinion really isn't the way to go...

She is a Vielded.
An its a proper tank that was bought when she was from the same pet store.

first things first get her a screen mesh cage cause that glass cage has got to go!!! Second welcome to the forums!!! third my experience with veileds is that they are very moody especially after that shedding and the hit that big growth spurt. IMO and what i have researched they just perfer to be left alone and not be handled much they are very territorial. they are beautiful but prefer not to be handled. you will get use to it.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/everyone-who-knows-you-cant-keep-chameleons-glass-31937/

I keep mine in screen cages, and I prefer them from what I've read. But, others, particularly those outside of the US, also use glass. In the UK from what I understand it's the norm.

It's very possible that this poster is from the Birmingham in England and not in Alabama. They way she used the word "proper" in that sentence is a very English way of using it.

Which, not to derail, I always thought it was weird that we in the US with generally lower humidity are insistent upon screen cages, yet people overseas with higher humidity are keeping them in glass when it should be the other way around, BUT either way... A glass cage can be done right.

Back
Top Bottom